Antsy for Eight - System Backup, Prep & First Impressions

It will not.

:frowning:

C9? (he asks sheepishly and rehtorically )

{‘-’}

Nice setup! Very similar to mine (a 5.25 bay, 6 slot SSD/HD removable tray).

I went the video switcher route on two 30" displays.

I then have three smaller 20" displays.

Interesting… great to see they’re making improvements to scoring (even though I don’t use it myself).

I used to work with someone that was on the Finale team; they’re nearby to where I live.

Is that the ICY DOCK ToughArmor MB996SP-6SB, which appears to be the same as the Sharkoon SATA QuickPort Intern 6-Bay?
If so, does it work well?

My current setup is actually a four-way 5.25" bay for the OSs and data SSDs, and a 3.5" dual bay for the sample SSDs. However, I would like to consolidate them, so I can have the 3.5" dual bay free to just slot in naked drives (no tray) on an ad-hoc basis.

I am considering going that route to mirror a display into the studio, but also switch the video camera routing to it or to one of my desk monitors. It is certainly less system taxing than duplicating monitors in Windows, as that requires extra pixels being driven direct from the video card, which only adds to its heat output.

Still have to keep my wits about me as getting too loose with the ad-hoc switching can result in the touch panel of a monitor (uses USB for touch, separate from the video) being active for a different monitor!

Sort of reminds me of the time my wife kept complaining that her mouse cursor was moving around by itself :confused:, but when I went in to her office, it didn’t move. This went on a few times, until we realised that her system was responding to my wireless mouse, as well as hers! :unamused: Technology spoonerisms.

Yup, that’s the one. The Icydock, exact model. It works great. The all metal design is nice. However, they do tend to “stick” a bit, sometimes, when both popping out and inserting. No biggie.

I bought a bunch for freely interchanging them between all my computers/servers. It works great.

It helps if you have a motherboard that supports 6 SATA connectors. If not, you have to buy an (inexpensive) add-in card (if you want to truly use all six slots).

It also has great RAID potential, effectively future-proofing against the M.2 standard that’s faster than SATA III and current SATA III SSDs. I haven’t needed to do this yet, but the option is there to turn cheap, off-the-shelf SSDs into dual (or even higher) RAIDs. You could have three dual RAIDs packed in there! Crazy.

Lol. Good stuff.

I’m using Synergy to span one mouse and keyboard across all the computers, so the monitor switch isn’t involved in the USB part.

Good, I’ll get one.

The sticking is an occupational hazard with such compact drive bays, given the fine tolerances, and the tendency for some variation in dimensions between drives. I think that even ambient temperature adds into their temperamental nature, as with my 3.5", I am never sure that when I open the lever whether the drive will just pop out or I will need the pliers!

Several reviews of the Icy Dock/Sharkoon 6-way cited issues with their short mounting bolts. At least that is only an issue for installation. Presumably with SSDs you have the fan switched off?

Luckily, it’s never come to pliers. When it sticks, coming out, it’s just the spring-loaded release bar that might need a tug. Going in, it’d be the release bar closing before the tray is seated.

If it ever happens, it’s usually with one of my thicker 9mm magnetic drives.

I never had an issue with its shorter mounting screws.

I leave the fan on because it’s very quiet, I have some magnetic drives and any help with airflow I can get, I’ll take.

Several of my PCs are in only 2U high rackmounts and are stacked with no gaps in the rack. And these are all off-the-shelf motherboards and CPUs which aren’t optimized for airflow and running cool in racks (but still work fine even with stock cooling).

The Icydocks are really perfect for digital audio. It’s amazing we can get 6 drives in one 5.25" bay.

Welp, I’m taking the v8 plunge.

Install downloaded.

About to backup my old Cubase 7.5 system drive using Paragon Drive Copy.

Wish me luck. See ya’ll on the other side.

Quick Update: So far so good!

Installed; all VSTs were found and didn’t even crash during the initial scan (a first time for me).

Current (large) project loads and plays back perfectly.

ASIO Guard 2 seems to work as advertised, mostly (more on this later). A project at about 95% average ASIO load in 7.5 at a massive 2048 buffer, now runs at 98% average ASIO load at 256. Pretty amazing. My input latency went from around 48ms to around 6ms.

My CMC controllers still work! Whew.

Importing Generic Remotes from xml seems to work.

There are still some UI details that are rough around the edges.

That’s it for now. More later…

Sorry, now that you are on C8, you will have to use that forum! :wink: :wink:

PS Got my Icy Dock 6-way bay today and installed it. All works well. A lot heavier than the mostly plastic 4-way one it replaced. With that amount of metal bolted to the case, I don’t need a fan for the six SSDs.

Yes, just saw that! Will do.

Good news on the Icy Dock. Yeah, it’s a solid build.

Cheers. See you in the 8 forum…

(Mods, feel free to move this thread into the 8 forum.)

I hope you know I was only joking in playing the forum police! All a bit irrelevant now that this thread has been moved from the C7 forum to the neutral Steinberg Lounge.

For anyone reading this for info on the Icydock 6-way 2.5" drive bay, while mine worked fine for several years, in the last year it has been getting flaky.

I bought it so that I could dual-boot Windows, with one SSD for the general boot, and another for the DAW boot, with another 4 SSDs for data, projects and samples. When I needed to boot the other drive, I would unlock the current one.

Eventually, the 2 OS boots would not boot reliably about half the time, so I pulled out the dock and connected them direct, and all have since worked absolutely reliably.

I recently bought a US$13 6-way SATA power switch bay, which has an individual switch for each drive’s power cable. It works reliably without having to pop drives out, so much less risk of dust settling on drive data and power connector contacts, possibly fouling up connections. It also means I can turn off drives I don’t need to have powered up, like for the project and samples drive most of the time.

I have a feeling that the Icydock drive bays might not have been fully engaging the drives to its internal connectors in the locked position, possibly making them more susceptible to dust breaking contacts.