Any advice for a newcomer?

OK I tried this out with my current project (and then reverted to get my mix back as it was). The results sounded pretty similar either way. Certainly pulling down the master to below clipping didn’t result in any nastiness. Maybe some plug-ins in the signal path don’t like it too hot (I’m tracking so not many plugs are involved yet)?

That said a newcomer is well advised to avoid getting near clipping in general. While 32 bit should provide a pretty forgiving environment internal to Cubase, once you hit the I/O it can get ugly fast.

The OP might want to visit the Cubase7 forum and look at the Tips & Tricks stickey thread.

But those third party plugins are meant to distort at higher levels, emulating the hardware.
You are both right, if the plugin does not emulate analog behaviour and is using 32bit float it does not matter if you drive it.
I am in the better safe than sorry corner, keeping my levels down and have one thing less to worry about.

On the other hand if Steinberg actually would document the in and out levels/distortion for every plugin they bundle, there would not be any guessing.

Yeah, agreed that it’s not a good idea to be overdriving plugins.

I’d say that it’s a better idea to reduce the gain on the master channel if you’re running hot rather than touch the master fader at all.

This may have been mentioned already, but my tip for anyone starting out is is to place a limiter as the last plug-in on your master output, to avoid blasting your ear drums when you inevitably switch to a preset that is VERY loud. The limiter will ensure your output does not go over 0db and cause nasty distortion. You can build this into a basic template, with some ‘go to’ effects and instruments, so you always have the basics at hand when you start a new project. Most important of all, have fun!

Because the limiter will mask gain issues and will massively change the mix if being driven hard. I think it’s useful for the master bus to be allowed to clip so the whacking great red light tells you there’s an issue - particularly for newcomers. I do however always run a very gentle mixglue compressor on the master bus when tracking and mixing, so when I get to mastering and slap a compressor on, the mix doesn’t suddenly completely change.

Other than just time, I’d say jump in on a small project or two for a client straightaway. Nothing will “encourage” your understanding of Cubase more than the pressure of HAVING to finish something, troubleshooting as you go. You’re not in this business for real unless you can say you’ve lost serious amounts of sleep, highlighted the snot out of your copy shop-printed version of the manual, spent hours in your car comparing mixes and have begged (and paid) professionals to help you out of jams. However, the pain will be worth it. I’m sure most of the members here can tell you their stories of luck and agony in the learning process…

Howdy Cubasians! I’m new to the forum and have started recording in Elements 9.5 I recorded a song at 105 tempo with 17 channels of guitars, vocals and a drum track. Then I realized that the song would sound better at 110 tempo. I followed the advice on the net that I should use the Pool to mark all the tracks and then easily change to 110. Unfortunately, I get a gargling effect, so called artifacting, which is annoying. Is there a way to change the tempo without having to re-record all the tracks? Look forward to some pointers!