Any general vocal recording techniques?

I am here searching for ideas about the general vocal recording techniques.

I have already done some searching on youtube and google, but those are too advanced for me as I am new to music production and just an user of Elements. Therefore, I would prefer some basic and general ideas of vocal recording.

This is how I record:
First, I make sure my audio input allows some headroom by testing it before the recording.
Then, I just directly record.
Finally, I apply EQ and standard compressor. Make sure the stereo out channel doesn’t hit red, then export.

The results were poor and clipping was present.

I don’t know if there are any mistakes or shortage throughout the process. Can anyone help? :neutral_face:

There is a lot of info on the web about recording -

Produce like a pro on youtube is good -

have a look at this

for starters - but really if you’re suffering with clipping etc - you’re probably looking for instructions on how to use your Interface as well as cubase as against recording vocal specifically -

JS

Thanks for the comment. I am quite sure that my audio interface is properly operated.
But I would like to have more mixing and mastering techniques. Like when and where to apply EQ and compressors. The more simple and general the better.

You might find this free course useful.
https://www.coursera.org/learn/music-production

Also if looking at your signal flow in the MixConsole you see anywhere that it is hitting (or very close to) 0dB then that’s where your clipping is coming from. If you don’t see that then the clipping is probably in your interface. This has nothing to do with how the interface is set-up or if it is operating properly. A properly operating interface can still clip. Different mics’ output signals will be stronger or weaker just based on their design. If you are using a mic with a hot output it can easily overload the input to your interface and cause clipping. This is normal and your interface should have a control that lets you reduce/boost the signal level at the input. This is an adjustment that you will make all the time depending on what you have plugged into the interface’s input.

Oh and clipping can be introduced anywhere along the signal path - so once you’ve eliminated one source it doesn’t mean there isn’t another.

remember to record in at least 24bit, and leave some headroom. -12dB should be fine.
If the recording does not sound good it is probably more likely to be the room, than anything else.

Yes, yes, yes!

It’s a good idea to use some commercial recordings in the style of music you make as reference tracks. This helps you hear how the room colors a pro recording - which lets you understand how it will color your recording.