Any good headphones for mixing yet?

Cars actually have a mixing friendly acoustic environment (for various reasons ). If it sounds crap in the car it’ll probably sound crap everywhere.

My Lexus SUV engine ‘drones’ at about a C# when standing still
and goes up from there as speed increases.
{‘-’}

The bass player in my band ( sadly RIP now ) used to harmonise backing vocals to the frequency of the engine as we drove to gigs. :slight_smile:

I’m a great believer in using the car “hi-fi” quality control method. It’s amazing how often I pick up things to improve because I’m not concentrating 100% on the music. I know that sounds very unscientific but… :confused:

Been getting on with my AKG K702’s pretty well for the past few months.
They’re open back so no use when there are open mics around.
Until they’re burned in they do sound pretty harsh… i gave mine a listen straight out of the box and wasn’t overly impressed to say the least… very harsh mids and tops and very little bottom end so put them on a burn cycle for a few weeks and the difference was amazing! kind of like leaving a decent red wine to breathe for a few hours is probably the best analogy.
The ear cups are so large that the entire ear can fit inside them so after ten minutes or so you forget you are wearing them and because of their design they sound very much like speakers NOT headphones!
They don’t have a massive ‘artificial’ bottom end like a lot of cans, rather a very ‘hollow’ bottom end… being a bass player i find it VERY natural and again after a while wearing them my ears adjusted and i’m finding them highly accurate in helping me to understand what’s going on down there.
The sound is VERY open and natural with the open back, large cup design… .much more so than my old beyer DT220’s which have now been relegated to foldback duties.
The mids and tops are pretty smooth with no obvious hot spots or dips and imaging is pin head perfect! VERY crisp and sharp… even down to the bottom end, bass roll off is VERY quick and natural. They’re not overly flattering, more they reveal what’s there… i’ve re-discovered pretty much most of my CD collection as a result actually :smiley:
They’re not the cheapest cans by a mile… nor are they the most expensive, but considering a pair of okish active monitors will cost you more then they start to look pretty attractive. They’re not as fatiguing as most cans owning to the design, but the bumps on the leather head band can cause a few sore spots if you wear them for hours on end. Ear fatigue is pretty much non-existent and i’ve found i can work for 3-4 hours with them on easily.
I would hate to be in the position where headphones were the only option to mix on as decent monitors in a decent location are by far the best option but i would choose these if that were so. I find them particularly useful to use in conjunction with my monitors when honing in on particularly difficult frequencies or for checking imagine etc…
The added bonus for me is that they sound GREAT for just listening to music if you you have a headphone amp with enough grunt to drive them properly! The headphone out on my multiface works a treat :smiley:

Everyone else who has tried them here has just been blown away with them… our guitarist even went a bought a pair for himself and is now cursing me! lol!
These things usually boil down to subjectivity at the end of the day but i am VERY happy with mine even though i do still feel the odd pang of guilt and pain when i think about the price! :blush:

Headphone Shootout

Multi-author, multi-headphone shoot out, with comments on perceived suitability for tracking vs. mixing.

I wonder - are headphones returnable if one doesn’t get along well with them initially?

LOL pretty much exactly what i said about the K702’s… bang for buck they came out top for me… as they said they weren’t far behind the HD800s at over twice the price…
There are quite a few ‘audiophile’ shops in most cities around the world that have listening rooms and they very often stock this kind of gear… maybe worth visiting one or two before you decide?
I had tried a few pairs of the K701s against a few other pairs in various dealerships for the past year or so and really liked them… all the specs and reviews of the K702s said they sounded exactly the same but come in dark blue lol so i went for them.

This topic is so old yet i need some recommendations aswell and since i am new here i didn’t want to bother you all by opening a new topic. I had seen this article itsluxetime.paris/11-meilleurs-ecouteurs-supra-auriculaires-decouvrez-le-son-le-plus-pur-2021/ and i thought those could be a good alternative to my old beats. i have a tight budget also i would like to be able to use them daily. what do you think?
thank you

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO

Mine too. Comfortable over long periods (don’t underestimate the importance of that!).
For forensic stuff I also have Sony MDR-7509HD but wouldn’t recommend them for mixing.
I tried the AT MTH50 but found them hyped in the bass, however they are probably good for EDM projects.

I only use headphones for noise reduction. I don’t really trust them for anything else.