I’ve recently bought a Tascam DR-40x and I’m trying to figure out the most efficient workflow for importing, splitting, cleaning and exporting my field recording clips. I tried Wavelab initially, but it doesn’t seem to offer much that Cubase Pro 10.5 can’t already do. I’ve searched online for relevant guides but I haven’t found anything yet. If there are any handy tutorials, can anyone point me in the right direction?
So far, my trial-and-error approach has been the below. Let’s say for example that I tapped on the window twenty times and now I want to turn the recording into percussion clips:
- Import the raw WAV from the field recorder
- Run any overall processing, such as background noise reduction
- Use “Detect Silence” to split the WAV into individual events (would hitpoints and slices work better for this?)
- Review and delete any unwanted events
- Select all remaining events and normalize to around -12db for consistency
- Apply any other desired processing (I use iZotope RX7 for anything Cubase can’t do natively)
- Use “render in place” to convert the events to individual WAV files
- Move those WAV files from my pool to my sample folder
- Tag the files in Media Bay
I would be grateful for any advice you could give on making this process more efficient. Thanks!