Any thought of supporting Mackie or HUI control surfaces?

I think this is a really interesting point. For some of us Dorico is all about notation - so the sound management is more of a nice to have. For others, perhaps those with a “traditional” perspective of wanting to create music from writing scores rather than recording samples - there is then the challenge/opportunity of how good do we want the Notation software playback to be?

Is a one stop solution of both scoring AND sequencer going to be an option that avoids the need to export Dorico into Cubase to enhance the audio element? Or would Steinberg be nervous of losing Cubase sales?!

I think the opposite is true. If they wanted to get more Cubase licenses, adding good bridges between Dorico and Cubase would be a priority.

It has not been. Evidently that isn’t a strategy at Steinberg.

It’s late on a Saturday evening, so I hope you’ll forgive me for not providing a lengthy rebuttal to this post. Hopefully it will suffice to add a few words about there being limitations in the number of people available to work on any specific project, the opportunity cost of working on one thing meaning that you can’t work on something else, the very broad and diverse needs of an enormous user base, and so on, and you can fill in the gaps.

1 Like

I’m not sure which post or proposal you intended to rebut. I think we all appreciate the difficulty of working with such limited resources and you have done a remarkable job. Remarkable isn’t really a strong enough word. Masterful is probably more like it. I think everybody appreciates that and also appreciates how hard you have been working. You are entitled to some R&R time.

I think the spirit of this discussion was not to criticize Steinberg but to dream of the future that could lie ahead for us. There are so many frontiers for Dorico, I know they can’t all be pursued at the same time. Control surfaces probably aren’t a high priority. However one notes that Steinberg has done a lot of work lately to make it easy to integrate control surfaces with Cubase. I was just hoping that it might be possible to port some of that code, or at least the knowledge of that, to Dorico.