Any way around the two PC license limit?

MattiasNYC,

everybody who works with unreleased material for external customers should have their studio computers disconnected from the web. Of course you can disconnect your hdds, connect to the web, disconnect from the web and attach the hdds again, but thh this sounds like a pain in the **** as a morning routine…

2 Likes

Well, I wasn’t arguing that, I was arguing whether or not it was possible in the first place, not if it was preferable. But secondly as far as “should”; why though? There are three primary reasons I can see why anyone would argue against being connected most of the time;

1. Users of the computer may upload IP and share it illegally. This is a poor argument because they can do that anyway by just copy the content to a drive and share outside of the facility.

2. Hackers outside of the facility might hack into the network, access content, then share it. I find this to be fairly unrealistic solely because the vast majority of content created has a tiny, tiny audience, and the potential gain in hacking into that system is near zero, but the ratio of gain:risk involved surely isn’t worth it.

If this is Disney or Netflix we’re talking about and it’s about leaking content from upcoming blockbusters or series then yeah, I totally see why restrictions are necessary. Those facilities however generally aren’t using Cubase or Nuendo, and if they are they’ll be able to activate for a year at a time from what I recall reading. Therefore the hassle is limited to a tech doing the rounds one week per year, spending a few minutes connecting, updating, disconnecting every workstation. Virtually a non-issue at that level.

1. Software might break due to malware which is completely unrelated to the IP that’s in the facility. A decent firewall and basic Windows Defender does a perfectly adequate job in most cases I’m sure.

Every single DAW or edit suite I’ve worked in in NYC has been hooked up to the internet. Every single one. Zero exceptions. For the last two decades. It’s needed for work and I’ve seen zero problems with it as long as management was appropriate.

1 Like

You write it. „If it‘s Disney or Nerflix….“

Should a DAW targeted at the audio post market not care about convenient licensing for studios working for Netflix, Disney or cinematic releases?

Plus: If you work on industrial / commercial projects (car reveals for the automotive industry) the same kind of paranoia rules the market. You work on movies that show cars that have not been shown to the market and usually have to sign NDAs.

1 Like

It should, and I’m saying it does.

Do you think that authorizing the software by going online once per year is so “inconvenient” that businesses suffer?

I understand that if you take the one year route, you cannot use a 2nd computer anymore. (I might be wrong)
I don‘t say this is a show stopper. I think it‘s a good thing that Steinberg ask users before the roll out.

Steinberg intend to retire eLicenser eventually. It would increase attack surface and decrease reliability to support two copy protection mechanisms in a single product.

It is clear that the next version of Nuendo will run on Steinberg Licensing only. There will not be an option to run that version using eLicenser. Steinberg have confirmed that upgraded licenses will remain on eLicenser but will effectively become NFR.

This is also my understanding and I feel more clarity is needed here.

Steinberg have already stated many times that they are looking into how this will work and will advise in due course. Moving forward, I wish to simply not lose any of the flexibility I have now re the dongle and by that I mean unplug it from one system and input it into another e.g. a backup system. The discussion about being able to use previous software versions like N8, at least for me, is a non starter as I tend to keep things updated once I’m happy re version stability.

I’m hoping that a simple checkbox for a select all option for migrating all licenses to a different Mac/PC will be available as I have over 40 of them on one of our USB eLicensers. If this is possible it’ll be only slightly more involved than unplugging an elicenser and plugging it into another system. The only sweat inducing concern will be if we have some sort of Steinberg server outage when/if I need to do this. I’m hoping they come up with a cast iron (for them) offline solution that puts that concern to bed.

I’m always cautious about anything new when it comes to things like this, but having now read several loooooong threads about it, and one who runs several systems, I’m already in the good too ‘cautiously’ go camp. Not quite the same I know, but I remember how I felt about the current forum when it was first introduced and now I really enjoy/prefer it.

I appreciate that Steinberg, I’m sure for many different reasons, are trying to move forward with licensing and managing, in my opinion, extremely well re feedback etc.

From what I’ve read it seems they’ll look into multi-user licenses exactly for facilities with multiple rooms. That could be a really great option also financially (though Nuendo is already cheap in my opinion).

Yep. I think they’re doing really well. I just think back to what Avid did and… thank-f I wasn’t heavily invested in that platform…

@Ben_at_Steinberg Will there be any special considerations for Nuage/Nuendo users in regards to this new licensing process? Also, how will the Nuage firmware updates line up with future releases of Nuendo? Is Yamaha going to be actively updating Nuage firmware as SB pushes out new versions of Nuendo that implement the new licensing process?

From what I understand, there will be a method to do 1 year offline registrations.

I’m afraid I’m not a Nuendo/Nuage expert - my usual neighbourhood is somewhat further afield in the land of Dorico. I’m just on holiday here to talk about licensing.

1 Like

This topic has run its course, and some of the info in it is outdated now, so I’ll close it.