Any way of panning round a circle of 16 speakers

Any way of panning round a circle of 16 speakers in nuendo yet ? If not can we sort out a more flexible bus system please (long time user here), I dont want to have to keep using max or reaper

Nuendo 1 (!) had free positioning of speakers for the panning device. :sunglasses:

These days, I would suggest encoding your mix to HOA and continue working in Ambisonics. Much more options.

I have used ambisonics quite a lot , thats kind of where I started (my PhD and Masters were in spatial audio so Im verrrry familiar with it) - and Ive even built my own ambisonic mics etc but I wouldnt use it any more I have some issues with it and I much prefer various forms of amplitude panning (vbap, dbap, knn etc) . I just cant beleive they had free positioning of speakers in nuendo 1 and then got rid of it !!! Id reinstall it but sadly cant seem to find the download for the whole program. Looks like Isono/encircled or Reaper it is then

1 Like

Good to hear that you are an Ambisonics pro. :slight_smile:

As someone who designed a fully Ambisonics-based multi-IR product for another company I find the endless possibilities of this format highly underrated. Steinberg sees it as “unsupported feature”, which is a real pity.

Much luck in your quest for full circle panning! :four_leaf_clover:

Well I wouldnt say that I was an ambisonics pro by any means, but I am familiar with the literature and more importantly its practical application. I used to take part in a lot of the listening tests to assess localisation accuracy of ambisonics vs say amplitude panning and know a lot of the researchers and coders who write much of the commercially available coders and decoders (i have also written my own) . Folk such as Peter Stitt, Stephanie Bertet, Dave Malham and Bruce Wiggins. Ambisonics may not be ubiquitous commercially but it is in academia and I heard hundreds of compositions at SARC made with it , WFS, atmos, DBAP etc etc so my opinion is not naive.

Criticisng ambisonics is a delicate matter in the academic community as some friends and colleagues have dedicated their lives to researching it and it obviously has some commercial interests… I do think ambisonics has some uses , and of course it may have come on quite a lot since I last used it . My main issue with it was its ability , or lack thereof, to create focussed sources, or to put it simply sounds coming close to the listener (which one researcher told me is theoretically possible with enough speakers butI never heard it) which in all fairness is a problem faced by any peripheral speaker array with the exception perhaps of WFS . Other issues at least at the time included the sweet spot, and antiphase signals (which I am told are not present in all current ambisonics plugins but certainly were still present in the version I used in ableton last month) . However I have developed my own techniques for adressing these issues.

I am of course open to being shown new developments in the field that may mitigate and improve on these issues , I also absoultuely agree nuendo should support it - thousands of people have developed and refined it over the years and it would seem like an massive oversight not to. - but letting you create your own custom bus and the ability to position speakers would be number one on my feature request list ! At the end of the day as an artist I only care about what works I have no axe to grind - its spatial audio not footbal!

As for full circle panning - Ive done it many times - its pretty basic stuff - but I normally use max with ICST or SPAT - but when youve got to “cue” an event it would nice to be able to do it in the DAW I am most familiar with. I would also like to hear more about the advantages you see in ambisonics and why its underated, its entirely possible theres been new developments or there are things I am unaware of.