Any way to randomise the order of a chopped up audio file?

Hi there,

I was wondering if there’s a way to take an audio file, cut it into pieces with the scissor tool, and then have Cubase rearrange the pieces in a random order.

I do a lot of cutting / rearranging spoken word pieces, and it’s pretty time consuming to move lots of tiny pieces of audio around. If I could select all of the pieces, hit a combination of keys (ctrl + [magic key] or something like that), and have it ‘auto rearrange’, it would be fantastic.

I’ve looked on Google, and in the manual, but can’t find anything relating to this.

I have various slicer / glitch plugins, but I’m hoping there’s a way to do this without such tools, and by rearranging the pieces of audio on the timeline.

I’m using Cubase 10.5 Pro.

Many thanks!

Hi,

Would this work for you…?

Setup Project Logical Editor:

Filter Target
( Media Type is | Equal | Audio | And
Container Type is | Equal | Event )

Action Target
Position | Set relative Random Values between | x | y

Function
Transform

Seems like this PLE preset would likely result in some of the Audio Events overlapping each other. I also got the impression reading the OP that they want the gaps between events closed. Like if you started with 1 minute of audio and cut it into 20 random slices. Then rearrange the slices but the total length is still 1 minute; kinda of like shuffling a deck of cards.

@PeteM75 can you elaborate a bit more on what you are trying to ultimately accomplish? Why do you want them arranged randomly?

How about setting the snap mode to shuffle and shuffling with the mouse?

I think he wants to do this automatically.

shuffle
@PeteM75 if you set the snap to shuffle, at least you can do this…
I also wanted if there is a quicker and a random way to do this, but I don’t think there is.

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the advice / help.

@Martin.Jirsak - despite being a Cubase user for more than 15 years, I’ve never used the Project Logical Editor. I will look into this, and I really appreciate your help.

@raino - yes, that’s exactly it. Shuffling the audio like a deck of cards. I work a lot with cut up poetry / lyrics (you know the Eno / Bowie, William Burroughs, Brion Gysin technique of chopping up news articles and rearranging the words to create something new), and I also like doing it with audio to inspire new ideas and such. I do it manually, but it can be very time consuming. Thanks so much.

@steve - I’ve just given this a quick try, and it seems it could be a good way forward. It keeps the gaps closed (the way I’ve been doing it, which is manually dragging things around, closing gaps is one of the most time consuming parts). This is very helpful, thank you!

@TakashiWatanabe - Yes, it would be great to be able to do it automatically, but I think setting the snap to shuffle is a good compromise. Thanks so much.

@Martin.Jirsak
“Set relative Random Value between” can only move events at a maximum of 100 ticks which is smaller than 1/16th note. If you can move, say 1920 ticks or so, it can be used to make interesting rhythms (followed by a quantizing). Although you can move multiple times but needs a lot of it. I often do that but basically, ±100 is designed more for ‘humanizing’ not to make rhythm tracks. And for humanizing we have a better implementation in the midi modifier.
I wish I can simply do random values within a selected range, e.g. if I select 2 bars by locators or selection, then the new position will be at a random position within the bar.

It’s a kludgy workaround, but one could:

• set the position of selected events to the same point (e.g. cursor, or fixed position in PLE)
  • run the PLE action randomizing relative position that Martin mentioned
  • run Set Spacer between selected Events function (set to e.g. 0.001 seconds), this will place the events after each other with a negligible gap

Possibly more trouble than it’s worth.

Hi,

Another workaround is to split the audio, move the audio slices to any sampler, insert the trigger notes in the Key Editor randomly.

That’s probably the easiest approach.

Thank you again, guys. You’ve given me several cool options / ideas.
I really appreciate the help.
Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks for this thread… gives me some ideas to try.