Any way to save a CC as a preset?

I’m stumped.

Attached is the most beautiful pitch bend for guitar that I have painstakingly made. Sure, I can copy and past this anywhere else in the pitch bend lane in this project.

But my objective is to save this as well as dozens of other beautifully created CC presets (not only pitch bend) for future use in other projects. Is there a simple way to save this as some type of preset to load quickly in any project?

If not I guess the only alternative is to make a project template with lots of pitch bends (and other CC’s ) for future use, save it as a project, then when needed, import from the pitch bend project, select whatever pitch bend and paste… which is a bit convoluted.

Hi you, would copying the CCs to a midi track and saving this as a track preset be helpful? you could a track in your current project with this preset as the starting point and copy your controller lane-pieces from there to the midi track where you need it. I know, also not “slim”…

You could get a smoother curve if you drew the curve in the automation track using the bezier curves and then converted to midi CC data

Thank you. Yeah, that’s slim too. I guess I was hoping there was something totally obvious that I was overlooking.

The attachment posted, was supposed to be very dry humor. If I zoomed that example, you would see it’s actually smooth. This is because I have become used to parabola & sine tools in the Key Editor. Some are screaming for Bezier in the Key Editor, but with Midi 0-127, what would be the sonic difference? Can anyone discern the difference between Modulation/ expression/volume CC 127 vs. CC126? Or is it the ease of making things smooth like Project Page automation?

With this said, I’ll assume you convert most of your automation that is normally by default done in the Key Editor into the Project Page automation tracks? Or convert from Project Page to Key editor? I actually like the Key Editor default automation CC’s. One reason is keeping those CC’s with the Expression Map. Another reason has to do with my multiple monitors, screen real estate, and use of Metagrid for enhanced Key Editor Midi Lane presets.

I can’t even remember how to convert these to the Project Page Automation tracks. I did it once, and do remember there were some drawbacks, and never attempted it again. So today I did a quick search, and per interpretation of legend Vic Fance, is this today still how it’s accomplished?

_“Hi I have just spent all day trying to nail this issue once and for all, with the help of my long time CUbase friend and expert Victor. Here is a post I made to which he replied: Steinberg Forums

Basically, you need to control cc values through automation lanes like you need a hole in the head. It can be done, but the whole process is obscure and difficult. Automation lanes DO show the same CC datas as are found in the Key Editor BUT if you write in the Automation lane this does not show up at all in the Key editor, UNLESS the read button for the track is enabled and EVEN then it does not show up as you would normally expect, but as a fient line.
Even more confusing it is possible to write cc automation AND Key Editor CC information and they will conflict. If you do this AND you have the write button enabled, you will see BOTH in the key editor - one as ‘traditional’ data curve and the other as a grey line. Confused? you will be…

Whether your data is written to an automation lane or to a key editor is controlled by the “MIDI Controller Automation Set up panel”. Here you can adjust it for either, or customise for each individual cc seperately (you would need to be a sadist to add more complications).

It is also possible to convert one type to another. You can use the MIDI Menu>Functions>Extract MIDI Automation, to convert CC# data in a MIDI Part into an automation lane, but, for the converse, you have to use “Merge MIDI in Loop” - which ONLY merges the MIDI in the loop. I have found anomalies with this.

As you can see this is about as easy as memorizing War and Peace verbatim.

However…

There is a work around if your goal is to see MIDI CC in the Project view.

If you enable the button “edit in place” in the track control settings, then open this, you will see a mini key editor in the project window. When this opens you may or may not see the controller lanes. The way you get control over what lanes are shown here (in the project window) is to head to the very bottom of the vertical piano keyboard tool in this pane and right click. This will bring up the familiar “create controller lane” tools. Now you can view what you want. Lastly, if you want to enlarge the view of a controller lane, you have to head for the gap between the piano roll and the lane, if you mouse fiddle you can click and drag to resize. This cannot be done in the main part of the window.

So, in short, I think it is very wise to forget automating CCs, and if you want to see CCs in the project menu use the above method instead.”
_

Has anything changed with this in the last 3 years?