Anybody used "StereoEnhancer"?

If so, what are your thoughts?

At its most basic (i.e, with “Delay” and “Color” turned off), does it function the same as converting the L/R to M/S, increasing the volume of the Side, then converting back to L/R?

Thanks for any thoughts -

Not sure what you mean by “M/S” but I have used it. It gives a little more spatial perception but what I don’t like is it seems to “re-center” anything that goes through it.
J.L.

Aloha guys,

In an ironic twist I actually use it with C6.5
when I want to hear a stereo mix in mono.

{‘-’}

+1

Sorry, “M/S” = “Mid/Side”. I was wondering if this plug-in simply encoded L/R into M/S, then adjusted the volumes of the Mid vs Side, then decoded back to L/R. Does anyone know … maybe a Steinberg rep/engineer can describe how it works?

What do you guys mean, “re-center”?

Thanks!

[quote=What do you guys mean, “re-center”?

Thanks![/quote]

I once made a tomfill and panned it right to left. Then i put the stereo enhancer on it and the panning was almost gone, recentered so to speak. Somewhere cluttered in the middle.

That’s a bit weird, if you insert it pre-fader, shouldn’t the panner work after it anyway?

I remember I put it on the Masterbus… :smiley:

In my setup, how “centered” things are depends on the knob position. I can make it collapse to center by turning the knob to values below 100 (or punching the mono button, of course). On the other hand, it seemed that when I turn the knob to values greater than 100 I lose the sounds panned to the center.

I guess I’m wondering what’s under the hood here. Is it simply run-of-the-mill M/S manipulation, or …?

When you set it to a width of 0, that doesn´t really matter…

Thinkingcap, I see you’ve commented, does that mean you’ve used it/have some information on how it achieves its effect?

Thanks -

No.

I´d say the “Width” is achieved via MS encoding, whereas “200” equals a gain of approximately +6 dB of the side signal.
The “Delay” parameter seems to add some kind of modulated delay and “tone” seems to be a variable filter.

yes, exactly. try this-- mono the signal before inserting ‘stereoenhancer’ to make sure there is no S-information. engaging the ‘stereoenhancer’ will then not produce any stereo (Side) information, because there is no S to boost to begin with.

‘MonoToStereo’ will however create delayed polarity-inverted signals on top of your source signal, so that one does create some Side information even though there may have been none to start with.

the ‘colour’ in MonoToStereo will just EQ the newly created Side signal (if you delete the S-portion of the signal post the ‘MonoToStereo’ plugin and adjust the ‘colour’, nothing happens to the Mid signal. ie. the ‘colour’ parameter only EQs the Side portion of the signal, keeping your original [presumably Mid-only] signal intact).

there are numerous other approaches to stereo width though, from haas to subtle EQ differences each channel, to pitch drift, to eventide-harmoniser-like modulations etc.

Thanks thinkingcap and lucasbrooklyn.

Kind of handy to have an included M/S plug-in.

Wonder why the manual description is so detail-sparse. It’d be nice to hear from an engineer about a few more details of the controls.

this explains whats happening - YouTube

I’ve used it, it’s awesome. :sunglasses:

I’d love to make my own macro knobs from Cubase’s included plug-in set, the enhancer is one I have a few ideas for.

Cool :sunglasses: .

Just to confirm, with this plug in alone, there’s no way to separately process the Mid vs. the Side signal (apart from the included knobs) is there? … no way to split the M and the S onto two separate tracks, for instance … is there?

Sure. Export the track (audio mixdown) with it set to either setting and import it into the project. Was this a trick question?

If this is not possible with this plugin, then use the free Voxengo plugin, it will do this.