Anybody working on a Super Wide Monitor?

My rigg uses 3 27" monitors. I love having the “expansive real estate!” Before that, I was on 3 24" monitors. Before that, I was on 2 20" monitors. ALL OF THESE MONITORS ARE STILL IN GREAT WORKING CONDITION. So, why did I switch? Well, besides the increase in size, the issue was connectivity. Any time I upgraded my PC, the change from VGA to DVI to HDMI and now to Display, REQUIRED replacing the monitors. This has become a real pain!

Right now, my latest upgrade has a video card that will only support 2 HDMI ports. So my 3rd monitor is on a Display port using a Display to HDMI converter cable. This causes a refraction of the image (think pencil in a glass of water) which totally screwed up my left to right view when I stretch out my mixer.

Since I can no longer find a video card that supports 3 HDMI ports and I’m tired of buying more monitors, when I already have perfectly good ones. I am now considering a super ultra wide monitor. That way, I’ll only have ONE CONNECTION and when the connectivity changes, I’ll only need ONE converter cable. My problem now is, I can’t find any wider than 49 inches. My current array spreads 81 inches. Salesmen are telling me that the diagonal measurement is going to equal the same spread. But I’m not sure. I’m just measuring across and it’s 81 inches left to right. Even deducting the cumulative 3 inches, from the borders, that still gives me 78 inches. So, 49" seems like a big drop.

Anybody here have any experience with these types of monitors. Is the salesman right, or is it just hype. Could I get away with using a 76" TV Screen for the replacement, or is that just asking for trouble? Advice requested here.

I’m using a samsung 43" (curved) ultrawide and 2 x 1600x1200 24" dell monitors. The vertical height is the same so it’s like a wrap-around solution. Highly recommended. All have super thin bezels too. Mounted on humanscale monitor arms so I can swivel the 2 side monitors to point to my keyboard / drum rig. I can’t imagine a better setup (although maybe that’s cos I have limited imagination :slight_smile: )

Problem with TVs (IMO) is that I don’t want more vertical height as that would obscure my monitor (speakers!) and it doesn’t feel like it would be as ergonomic as ‘width’. I’d get neck strain looking up. Also with 4k TV you ‘might’ run into all those high-dpi scaling problems that everybody seems to run into with cubase/nuendo if you were to run at anything other than native.

I don’t know why a displayport to hdmi cable would cause “refraction” - something not right there. FWIW on mine I have displayport/hdmi/dvi - different connection type on each monitor. Works perfectly. Make sure whatever you buy has ports for whatever connection you need to use ie converters not needed.

Also DVI=hdmi (basically) so that should be always ‘perfect’ conversion.

See for yourself.

The left and right monitors are HDMI direct. The center monitor is a Display to HDMI connection (totally refracted). But I’m lucky to even have that. I had a hell of a time getting ANYTHING to work just to fire it up! The 3 monitors are HP 27es with 2 HDMI & 1 VGA connection options on the back. I tried using several types of powered Display to HDMI converter boxes and got nothing! The only thing that was working was a Display to VGA CABLE, which was like looking at 1980’s video. I got the Display to HDMI CABLE and that worked just fine. As long as I don’t spread my mixer through all three screens (which is my PREFERRED WAY TO MIX), it works great! You’d never know anything was off. I’ve got Channels & plugs on the left screen, project window in the center and the mixer on the right, which I use during construction & editing.

But when I mix, I JUST WANT TO LISTEN. So I had a 3 screen view of just the mixer that I used to mix as if I were actually on a desk. After the upgrade, that option is no longer available because the center monitor now has that 2" dip at the top of the screen, hence my interest now in just getting an ultra wide single monitor.

that’s looks 100% like a software issue not a hardware/convertor issue - I’m sure you’ve checked how you’ve got that set up in windows but I’d suggest that’s where the problem lies.

@Keyplayer
something is messed with your grafics card
the adapter wont do that by itself
since these DP to HDMI adapters are passive… the DP switches resolution, framerate and signal to send out a fully compatible HDMI signal
(btw it doesn’t work the other way round)
I guess your Nvidia Card is not capable to produce the needed resolution for three displays
or your DP connector is an older one not able to deliver the needed resolution
while your HDMI connectors can produce higher resolutions

Also DVI=hdmi (basically) so that should be always ‘perfect’ conversion.

this is simply not true, it is more complicated (DVI is not encrypted by default and can carry only 1080p, for more it needs dual link)
all these have different standards and versions with different capabilities

to get a future proof system with high bandwith for all displays DP is the way to go at the moment
HDMI is changing to quickly and it’s a consumer interface in the first place
but HDMI is cheap and available nearly everywhere

ok, of course it’s more complicated but that’s (nearly!) true for 99.999999% of cases that you are going to meet using non-4k COMPUTER monitors output from a PC…(FWIW single link can usually do more than 1080p - I’ve never seen one not be able to do 1920x1200 for example)

DVI Single Link is capable of 2560x1600 at 30Hz only that’s pretty ugly…

we can agree on that :slight_smile:

having said that cubase/nuendo windows HiDpi isn’t really working so 1920x1200 is probably good for most users !

my main monitor is 3440x1440
it works very well… since I use a dedicated graphics card

Just be sure your graphics card can handle the ultra wide monitor. A coworker of mine upgraded from 3x24" to 3x29 inch", guess what? The video card didn’t support the ultra wide monitors…

This is driving me nuts. I’m getting all of these comments saying that there is something wrong with the card’s settings. So, I keep trying to figure out what the system needs to function AS IT SHOULD. This entire year has been a nightmare with NO CTR MONITOR for 3 freaking months, which ended up with me building a brand new infrastructure (going from an i7 MOBO to an i9 MOBO) including a new monitor. And yet, the best I could get was a “2.5 monitor” array. Clearly, I couldn’t get the Display port to give me the same 1080X1920 resolution that the other 2 monitors were displaying, hence the refracted view in the center. But for 90% of the time the resolution was close enough.

EVERY SINGLE TIME that I try anything, even a simple changing of cables, to make all 3 monitors work together, I end up in some situation that has me losing the center monitor or working at such a level that I might as well have lost it! Today’s attempt was the latter. After simply switching the display cable to the left monitor and the left monitor cable going to the center monitor, I now cannot get the center monitor to display past a VGA setting resolution. See for yourself what I’m dealing with.

Keep in mind that these are 3 IDENTICAL 27" HDMI MONITORS. Yet the card settings are showing the L & R monitors as a pair and the center monitor as some entirely different entity!

As you can see, the controls will not even offer me 1080X1920 resolution as an option! This makes no sense! Before I switched the cables, Before I had at 1080X1920 resolution and the icons matched. How does something like this happen?

I was going to try the customize settings. But it gave me a warning that doing so MIGHT DAMAGE THE MONITOR AND VOID THE WARRANTY! :open_mouth: Why even bother offering the option? :confused: If you guys have any suggestions, I’d be happy to hear them. At this point, I’m ready to take the PC back to the shop and let them instally the older NVidia Card with the 3 HDMI & 1 DVI Port. :rage:

I got the center monitor back to 1080X1920 Resolution (No idea how. I just re-seated the cable). But I still have the refraction when I drag the mixer across all 3 screens.

The ONLY possible explanation, that I can come up with, is that conversion from Display to HDMI, which you guys are saying shouldn’t happen. So, what other explanation can you offer?