Anymix and monitoring

I’m playing and recording a VST instrument through a stereo track. To do that the tracks monitoring is on.
Now I would like to Upmix that signal to 5.1. Not recording it in 5.1, just have it played back as Upmix (to have a bit more fun listen to it on my 5 channel setup.)
I insert a Anymix Pro into any 5.1 channel that signal is running through, and activate a Upmix setup.
And find: That stereo signal coming in through track monitoring is not upmixed. But as soon as I have it recorded (on that same stereo track) and played back through the same signal path, it is upmixed.
What does it make a difference for Anymix, if that signal is already recorded or coming in through monitoring?

Oswald

It’s a very heavy process so I doubt it’s able to do it in realtime. Also you should insert the anymix on a stereo track and send it to a 5.1 to make it work correctly. :slight_smile:

Stereo track => Anymix panner (not plugin, but panner) => 5.1 buss or output.

Fredo

Ahhh right. Thanks a lot.

Oswald

But still…

I’m now:
Stereo track => stereo bus with Anymix as panner => 5.1 out

Works as expected when any already recorded clip is playing on stereo track. As soon as that stereo track is monitoring VST instrument, upmix is dead.
Why? What is different in terms of signal going throught that Upmixer?

Oswald

I don’t think this will work for live monitoring, It’s no realtime process.

Fredo

Ok. Then It seems I do not understand Realtime Processing. A reverb is a realtime process but Anymix is not?
Doesnt “realtime” mean: Effect is rendered every time it is played back. (Instead of being rendered once and this rendered file played back…like in Offline Processes)

Oswald

On playback (in a DAW) the plugin looks ahead what’s coming, and processes the content in advance to be ready when the audio actually needs to be played back. While in realtime it processes the incoming audio instantly and spits it out again just a few samples later. Some processes require more time than a few samples to so what they need to do, and that’s why they look ahead.

Fredo

And what is coming from a VST instrument the DAW can not look ahead to…Now I understand.
Thanks for the insight.

Oswald