Anyone here tried the MMP1

Has anyone here tried using the Yamaha MMP1 Studio Monitor Manager (I’m particularly interested in anyone using it with Nuage)?

Using it in our Cinema room.

Fredo

2 Likes

I’m guessing that you’re only concerned with the back end to feed the Surround/Atmos monitors, yes? It doesn’t seem to have a lot of inputs (only 8 Analog I/O and 16 Digital I/O).

I’d prefer 24 analog I/O, which is why I’m still looking at desks to replace my old desk. But the built in integration with Nuage made me wonder if it’s worth the aggravation of the extra hardware, via adaptors, to get the necessary inputs.

That is correct. Switches flawlessly between all different formats. 5.1, 7.1, Auro 3D, Atmos, etc …
What about the Nuage Hardware?

BTW, happy with your Nuage?

Fredo

1 Like

I don’t want to spend more money to “reinvent the wheel.” That’s my problem with all the monitor management systems that I’ve seen. You end up spending so much for connective units that you could’ve purchased 2 desks! Meanwhile, the desk will actually allow me to “work manually,” should I have a catastrophic failure with my computer, since I can track directly to my HDR. That original setup has saved me on more than one project.

Absolutely love it! I’m not kidding when I say that this purchase has probably lowered my blood pressure by several points! :rofl: I’m still getting used to a lot of workflow changes. But the main thing is NOW, I just turn the system on and go to work!

Hello @Fredo,

I’m having trouble getting an MMP1 demo unit to listen to so I’m asking you directly - do you use the speaker tuning filters much? If so how do they sound?
It looks like a nice capable unit. Our studios use the JBL708i speakers which require dsp filter correction currently done by the Intonato units but JBL is backlogged and we need 4 more.
Thanks for any filter feedback (pun intended) you have.
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

I only use level and latency. And a tad of Bass Management.
We have a great sounding room, so the corrections would have been minor.
And since I am an old fart, I am sticking to the wise words of Tom Hidley that you better adapt to/ try to live with the imperfections of your speaker system than to screw the whole thing up with filters. Our system is a mixture of LSR32’s (front) , LSR25p (side and rear) , LSR12p (2xsub) and Neumann KH 120A’s. (top layers)

Very happy with the MMP1.

Fredo

1 Like

Hello,
Thank you for the information. I agree.
Hugh

Hi, have tried to get any MMP1 unit in all of Europe over the last 4 weeks. Not wanting to soften your hopes, but the unit seems to be EOL from Yamaha as of what I heared.

We got one running in our TV mixing stage and wanted to get one for our cinema mixing stage we are building right now. No luck whatsoever.

I love the unit for the versatility that it provides, hate it for the complicated setup steps you have to go through when setting it up properly.

We have a Genelec SAM system, so monitor corrections are in there but the Bass Management we draw from the MMP1 (Tops get BMed, rest is full range). Actually we use some very minor tweaks from the Filters of the MMP1 in addition to the GLM filters. These minor changes propably don’t qualify for evaluating the filters.
We set up different monitor sources, but other than that just use it as a Dante IO device. What I would really like would be the functionality of automatic Talkback switching when in Record/Play/Stop like the Nuendo Controll room. This is actually the reason we still use the Nuendo controll room over the MMP1 in that regard.

If I could, I would buy one more.

I thought you guys had Meyer Sound Lab Monitors. When did you make the switch and why?

We have those HD1’s in our TV-mixing room. (mid-field as required by Netflix)
The mentioned setup is from our Cinema Mixing room.
Two completely different things.

Fredo

1 Like

Okay, I’m on the content creator side of this equation, as I’m a media composer. You’re still doing Surround/ATMOS for both formats. Besides volume requirements, why is one completely different from the other?

Room size.
It is simply impossible to mix for cinema in a small room, due to acoustics.
Well, it is possible, but your nearfield/midfield mix is very likely to sound different in a theatre.
In a cinema room, the front speakers are behind the screen, and the speakers are calibrated differently.

Fredo

2 Likes