Anyone running separate Read and Write hard drives (Read for Project)(Write for Recording/Export)

No it’s not it’s pissing me off.

I’ve always gone with ASUS and Intel

looking at the
Z490-P/CSM
Pro WS C422-ACE
or
WS X299 Sage/10g for the amount of PCIe Gen3

me too :slight_smile:

yeah always been solid for me… If there’s ever been problems, it’s the other parts. But ASUS, Intel, and Nvidia have always been a good match.

Which Mobo are you using?

I missed one, ASUS WS C422 PRO/SE…

Seems like an interesting cross between the X299 sage and C422-ACE

edit
per C422 PRO/SE

Intel® VROC

Unleash the WS C422 PRO/SE Virtual RAID on CPU (VROC) with the addition of an ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 card*, which allows you to attach up to four PCIe®3.0 x16 M.2 drives — for a total bandwidth of up to 128Gbps. PCH-based RAID arrays are bottlenecked by the 32Gbps limit of the DMI bus. VROC obliterates that limit by allowing you to utilize CPU PCIe lanes to configure a bootable RAID array that can transfer data at insane speeds.

mmmmm, WS C422 PRO/SE|Motherboards|ASUS Canada

Doesn’t say the M.2s are nvme though

mines an older ASUS Prime Z390-A

m.2 is the form factor (like 3.5:" drives or 5 1/4" etc) Nvme is the interface/protocol like “Sata or IDE”

so that board supports m.2 nvme drives

Yes that seems correct, the M.2 slots have both SATA and PCIe3 mode with PCIe3 mode essentially being nvme speed.

yes, it is :smiley:

Time to save up…

I wonder if that Hyper M.2 x16 card would be useful for sample library storage, or if that level of speed could be utilized by a DAW in any way.

M.2 for sample storage are brilliant. I use the drum software SD3 and it used to take ages to load a kit that was about 4gig. It now loads in a couple of seconds.

1 Like

@vncvr You’ve missed the entire point of this thread and now it’s getting a bit silly.

If you have an unlimited budget and don’t really care about where you spend it then of course you should probably just buy it.

You do seem to understand what 128Gbps is - or what you performance you actually need - and then say it depends on the BPM of the song - or it will speed up audio exports…

Take a step back, a deep breath and repeat to yourself. A single 44.1khz 24bit audio track needs 1Mb/s - then it’s time to log off.

I just like speed. I don’t mind doing the speed limit in a lambo.

but. I’m pretty sure BPM affects data rate… think about it…

can I suggest you, think about it :slight_smile:

now go and ‘do the speed limit in your lambo’ :smiley:

I think only if the data is in musical mode then BPM will affect

It’s looking like the X299 Sage is the way to go, according to this video which uses both X229 Sage and C422 mobos for comparison of chipsets

if running i9 7900x or i9 7980xe

edit
holy f, the i9 7980xe is $5k!