Anyone tried MacOS Monterey yet?

I think I found the culprit! I started a new project and loaded one and one VST and effect until Cubase crashed. All went fine until I loaded EW Spaces II which is my main convolution reverb. Tried it again and Cubase crashed as soon as I loaded Spaces II again. I tried opening Spaces II as a standalone plugin - crashes immediately. I’ve tried to reinstall Spaces II - doesn’t work, I’ve tried to delete Spaces II from the application folder, then reinstalled it - doesn’t work. So now I’ve contacted East West and created a support ticked, hope they can help me fix the problem. Until it is fixed I can’t open any of my projects or template as Spaces II is used all over those and crashes Cubase before I can go in and remove it from the project or template :frowning:

Nice to hear. My only concern left is the USB-hub breakage some have experienced. I’m pretty reliant on my hubs working so personally I’m on the fence right now.

I’m running into an issue where certain tracks will stop playing/outputting audio after some time without warning or any kind of errors. I’m thinking it’s a plug-in issue but disabling plugins on said tracks doesn’t fix the issue and the only way to correct the situation is to reopen the session and wait for it to happen again. I’m about to switch to my windows setup until a native version is available. The same sessions having issues under Monterey on M1 are working perfectly on the PC.

B

I’m on big sur and I just got some breakage with USB hubs. I’m kinda SOL without them working due to my macbook pro not having USB ports. (i have to go to a thunderbolt hub > USB hub)

it was fine for the last year up until today.

I upgraded to Monterey with Cubase installed while it was on Big Sur. As a test everything works but the SDA crashes on Monterey. (Steinberg Download Assistant)

Steinberg support told me that Cubase (LE AI Elements 11) is not supported on macOS Monterey or on the M1 Mac (which is what I’m using), but since I don’t have an alternative (other than to keep using my old machine) I tried anyway. I’ve been able to start Cubase, create a new project, add an instrument, import an audio file, and start recording, and it worked fine for a while … but eventually the program crashes. It doesn’t seem to be directly related to what I’m doing, because it sometimes crashes after a few seconds and sometimes not for a few minutes (doing the same operations in the same project: recording MIDI while playing audio). So, it seems like not a serious incompatibility, but just some kind of dumb bug. Hopefully they’ll fix it soon.

I don’t think Monterey is ready for primetime. I think it depends on the interface you use and if you have the M1 or Intel. If you have a solid system, I suggest you wait as long as you can to keep running smoothly.

Brand New Mac mini (M1) 16G/2TB
DAW: Cubase Pro 11.0.41.
Audio Interface Plugged in Directly: Yamaha (Steinberg) UR816C
Tools Package: 1.5.1 - Driver: 3.1.1 - DSP Bridge: 1.0.1
USB Hub: Rosonway RSH A-10 (10 port hub): Keyboard, Mouse, eLicenser, iLok, External Drive.

My experience:
It is not working properly for me. Everything seemed to go smoothly after installing Cubase 11 Pro. Cubase opened quickly and was able to open an older project. Then, after installing the UR816C drivers, it all fell apart and became super sluggish!

The OS and DAW can see the UR816C, but this colored wheel just keeps spinning around for several minutes. When it stops and I try to make a change, it just starts spinning again. At first, I thought it was an external Drive issue, but then I moved the files over to the internal MAC drive and unplugged the external SSD. that didn’t solve the issue, it is still sluggish and has the colored wheel spinning? it could be a plugin issue, too. So I will disable all third party plugins and see if that helps.

I am New to the Mac, but I used them in college, so I know a little from 15 years ago. I would like to open older projects and move them over from my PC, but just trying to get everything working together reminds me of the PC nightmares in the 90’s and 2000’s. This is why I switched to a MAC. it is supposed to be easier, but it isn’t.

I am about to try out Logic, but I want my older projects to remix.

Following up…I’ve experienced random crashing, sometimes while idle without anything loaded. However, it most often occurs with Cubase which is used the most. Last time, it was when attempting to save a a track preset which occurred upon opening the channel.

No trouble here aside from a handful of plugins that need updating (and the vendor only has a couple more to go now). Granted Ive only had Cubase about a week or so now (switched to Logic Platinum around VST32 time and just came back), but both Logic and Ableton Live aren’t having any issues either.

2018 i7 Mac mini with a MOTU 828X running as solid as they always do. My old Emagic AMT8 still works too, but apparently that might not survive the impending M1 move so…

I did a video (I don’t normally make videos like this hence the quality) trying out Cubase on Monterey and more importantly for me, Apple Silicon.

If you can’t be bothered watching it then basically Cubase 11 pro is working really well. I’ve had the odd anomaly here and there with cpu spikes from specific plugins like switching presets in 80s drummer inside a kontakt instrument but I can’t reproduce these in another session.

The UR28M has issues so just use class compliant mode for now.

Go forward to the future people!

Updated to 12.1 which hopefully alleviates the memory leaks causing my crashing.

I’m on the m1Max macbook Pro with Monterey and my Ultralite mk4 cuts in and out only while using cubase pro 11.0.41. Playing music from the hard drive or browser is totally fine…
Hard to say whether this is a cubase, monterey, apple sillicon or interface problem. But it would seem to lean towards cubase / apple sillicon.

Monterey is working well with Nuendo 11.0.41 and UA Apollo twinx .
Had some issues with Dorico 4 because of some plugins (eucon65.bundle and groove agent)
That would not let me open the app. Once I removed eucon65.bundle and updated groove agent Dorico 4 was smooth sailing after that. I suppose it almost March now and thing should be all worked out.

I’m on Monterey for about a month now. First I “lost” all my Waves plugins (they just want your money, again) and slowly but steadily everything starts to work just fine. Except for the loading time of the plugins. That takes soooo long and freezes the program, mostly. Then there is my UR-RT4 which probably needs new drivers, since the computer sometimes forgets it’s there AND (most annoyingly) I hear the clean sound of, say, my guitar when I play. Hope that gets fixed soon for such a pricey piece of kit.
Oh yeah, I’m on a 2017 intel iMac and I never should’ve updated…

I’m not there yet but I ordered a Mac Studio M1Max and it will come with Monterey. I don’t expect it for 6 weeks or more. I’ll post my experiences with it.

I did get brave and loaded Monterey 12.3.1 on an older MabBook I have. It is a Mid -2015 Macbook Pro i7 16g and 1tb. So far everything seems to work.

PS: I canceled by Mac Studio order. Too many posts and YouTube videos on the fan noise. Not going to deal with it. I’ll go for another Macbook when I’m ready.