Anyone using Pitch Innovations "Groove Shaper" with Cubase?

The new plugin from Pitch Innovations named “Groove Shaper” looked like fun, so I picked up a copy. Unfortunately, I’m not having much luck getting it working with Cubase. I don’t see any posts in here just yet about that topic, so I thought I’d ask: is anyone using Pitch Innovations “Groove Shaper” with Cubase? If so, can you offer any tips to get it working? Thanks.

Hi,

Could you be more specific, please? What is not working? Can you see the plug-in in the list? Can you add it to the Audio track? Can you see the GUI?

Sorry, that was sloppy of me. I was tired and frustrated at the time and didn’t think to offer more specifics. To be more precise, the problem I was having was that I couldn’t get the Groove Shaper standalone app to trigger anything in Cubase. I could launch the standalone app and get it to work on its own, but I wasn’t having any success when I tried to use it with Cubase. I thought I followed the manual properly in taking the following steps:

1. Launch the Groove Shaper app first and make sure its MIDI settings and mode are correct, so it will make its standalone MIDI channel available in Cubase.
  2. Start Cubase and add an instrument track, then configure that track’s MIDI input to listen the Groove Shaper standalone channel.
  3. Playing on my controller keyboard, to which Groove Shaper is configured properly to listen, should now cause it to produce MIDI output, which should be received by the instrument track in Cubase and played accordingly but this is the step that didn’t work at all.

No matter how many times I tried rebooting or other futzing around, I couldn’t get any notes to sound from the instrument track in Cubase. That’s when I posted my message. I have been playing around this morning, however, and believe I’ve found a method that works. The trick seems to be that you have to launch Cubase first, not Groove Shaper, get it all set up, and only then start the Groove Shaper standalone app.

The Groove Shaper manual explicitly says otherwise (on page 19), but that procedure doesn’t seem to work for me ever with Cubase. I’m going to email them about it today, now that I have what seems like a fix.

Using Grooveshaper with CB 13 pro.
Install an instance of Grooveshaper in a Cubase track.
Populate that track with a chord progression.
Install an instance of a synth.
Make sure that you change input routing in synth from “all midi inputs” to “grooveshaper output”.
Arm synth and press record.
Grooveshaper will break up your chord progression into beats.

I find that Venomode phrasebox is a more useful plug because you can use it for beats and melodies. It works in a similar fashion and is also usually cheaper. And more importantly it can select notes from within the key you are using.

(I had trouble getting GrooveShaper to select instrument an instrument from the populated hostlist that Grooveshaper made. Cubase constantly froze.)

I had some trouble figuring it out with Cubase too. Here are the notes I took on the subject in the hope they’ll be of assistance. I find I can use it in both of its intended configurations as described below.

Standalone App

1. Start Cubase first and load up whatever instrument track you want (T1).
  2. Set the MIDI input for T1 to the GS standalone channel option which should be present.
  3. Now start the GS standalone application and load up a preset.

In its default mode, the Groove Shaper app will accept MIDI if you’ve configured it to listen to your preferred keyboard, which it will then process according to its settings to pipe the results into Cubase via that connection you made in step one.

Groove Shaper MFX

The manual makes it sound like the MFX version of the plugin works only with Ableton Live, so I didn’t even know to try it. But after going back and forth with their support guy for a bit, he sent me a video that gave me another way to use the plugin, one that I think I prefer generally speaking.

1. Add an instrument track (T1) with the “Groove Shaper MFX” plugin, which is not a VST3 I should note.
  2. Add whatever second instrument track (T2) you wish to control with GS.
  3. Configure the MIDI input in the track inspector for T2 to receive data from T1.
  4. Enable record for T1 so GS will receive MIDI data from your controller.
  5. Disable record for T2 but enable monitor, so you’ll hear its output.

Now you should be able to play on your MIDI controller and watch GS step through its pattern sequence.