Apple iPod simulator?

Hi All.

Mixing nowadays also requires a check with small in ear or iPod like headphones, as a lot of people listen to their music with mp3 players.

We discovered that the following two scenarios give different result.

Scenario 1

Plug (with an adapter) original white apple iPod/iPhone headphones directly to the master output (in my case a Mackie Big Knob).

Scenario 2

Make a mixdown of the song. Convert it to mp3. import it in iTunes. Load it on the iPhone/iPod, Listen to it with original white Apple iPod/iPhone headphones.

I discovered that these two scenarios give quite different sonic results.

Does anyone know if there is a plugin or a hardware processor simulating the iPod frequency response so that the mix can be adjusted in realtime using the Apple headphones?

I’ll be happy for any kind of input.

Thank you.

Andy

I think most of the difference you hear is because of the mixdown to MP3.
I think Ipods have a number of EQ presets, so you might want to check if your Ipod has flat EQ or not.

Yes, my iPod is set to flat.

There is also a difference if it is Cubase encoding MP3 or if I export regular audio on a CD and than import it in iTunes.

Again, it would be nice if there would be some kind of VST/processor that can reproduce all those differences.

I tried it with an EQ (Waves), however the result was far from close the the real thing.

Andy

I guess this is close to what you ask for:

http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plugins/products/pro-codec.htm

It’ll let you audition your master through various data compression formats. It’s pretty expensive though.

Thank you.
That’s exactly what I need.
Andy