Applying ties to multiple but inconsecutive notes?

As the topic header suggests, is there a way to do this?

For example if I ctrl+click on the notes below and then chose Tie, the first note gets tied to the second orange note. Am I missing something?

Maybe put the intermediate notes , which you want to skip, in another voice?

I’d like to avoid that if possible, I’m just looking for the shortest, quickest way through this.

I’m confused: are you trying to tie the notes in bars 1, 3, and 5 altogether, without tying the notes in 2 and 4?

You can’t tie notes of a different pitch.

Dorico will tie as many notes of the same pitch together as you like, even if they’re not consecutive.

You can even select multiple, non-contiguous notes at different pitches, and tie them together:

1 Like

In your example, with those notes selected, just type 8 (whole note), is not that what you want?

No no, I just wanted to tie bars 1 & 2 together, as well as 3 & 4, and 5 & 6.
All in one go, to save time.
As opposed to:

• having nothing selected
  • creating a tie in bar 1
  • creating a tie in bar 3
  • creating a tie in bar 5

In which case, Rafael has it: just extend the duration. (Of course, if the durations are not the same, you’ll need to do it in separate goes.)

Though I’d also enjoy going Tright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrowTright arrow

I’m not sure but I don’t think you’re quite with me. Perhaps I’m not explaining it very well.

I want to go from this:

To this:

Simply by selecting these notes and selecting Tie (T):

Yes, I understand.

Press 8 instead of T. (with Insert mode OFF).

2 Likes

Oh, thanks - I had Force Duration on by mistake.
Suggestions for punishment are now open.

1 Like

Weird. It shouldn’t matter if Force Duration is on or not - changing the note value should still work.

1 Like

Do you support the Lions? You’ve probably had enough punishment for one day.

Not a football fan, but nice try :slight_smile: :football:

If you change a bunch of half notes to whole-note values with insert mode on, everything after the first note gets shifted to the right …

That’s why I instructed turning it off. :grin: