Appoggiatura playback?

I was wondering if one can change the playback for an appoggiatura (on the note)? When you notate a grace note, Dorico plays it back as an Acciaccatura (preceding the note, with or without the slash).

If you are on Pro, check the Playback options (cmd-shift-P).

The options are found on the TIming page of Playback Options, to be precise. Certainly you should find that Dorico plays back unslashed grace notes as appoggiaturas by default. If you have an example to the contrary, please create a simple example that demonstrates the problem and attach it here so we can take a closer look.

Ah, I see. The problem is I was trying to simulate turns/mordents with multiple grace notes, and the “play on the beat” appoggiatura only applies to 1 note. So, I assume, then, there is no way to have grace notes play on the beat, and I have to notate it out?

That’s right, for the time being. You could muck around with them in Play mode if you’re willing to take care of it manually, which might be OK if you don’t have too many to deal with.

I have an appoggiatura in the attached project, and I can’t get the notes to playback on the beat; they always play before the beat. I made sure the grace notes were unslashed, and I checked the playback options to make sure appoggiaturas play on the beat, but to no avail. I’d appreciate any help with this.
2021-11-29_19-06-37

Appoggiatura Playback Problem.dorico (386.0 KB)

As per Daniel’s previous reply, the only way I could change the playback to how you described was to go into Play mode and drag the notes to the right. For me, at least, the horizontal displacement did not change the notation in Write mode, but a vertical displacement (ie changing the pitch) did. I’m not sure if this is the best, or only, way of doing it. Others with more experience using Dorico hopefully will be able to offer some relevant advice.

When I revisited this, I discovered that Played Durations Played Durations icon was selected (by default).

If I had selected Notated Durations Notated Durations icon , then the appearance in Write mode definitely would have been altered.

stevenjones01, I know that I can manually adjust the notes in playback. However, per Daniel’s quote above, Dorico should play unslashed graces as appoggiaturas, or on the beat. Yet Dorico’s behavior doesn’t match that. I don’t know if this is a bug or if I’m missing something.

Dorico’s help section confirms this as well: Grace notes in playback

Maybe the playback behaviour assumes a single appoggiatura, not a group of them (four, in the example you gave).

In Playback Options > Timing > Grace Notes the two choices “Play on the beat” and “Play before the beat” are under the heading of “Playback of single unslashed grace notes”.