Are 32 bit plugins supported in 64 bit WaveLab 8?

Are 32 bit plugins supported in 64 bit WaveLab 8? Many of my installed plugins refuse to show up in WaveLab 8. I have also WaveLab 6 installed on the same computer. They work there. For instance the beloved NorhPole.dll, Soft Tube suite and the old TC Works bundle will not play with v. 8. I have included the paths, forced recheck, googled, restarted, etc. I’m on Win 7.

No.

Wow. Thanks for the swift answer. I’m currently in shock. Why not? Is there a solution?

Actually, I was going to ask the same question so, apparently, this is the reason why I couldn’t get my Powercore to work in Wavelab 8 on Mac. Plugins do show up but as soon as something is fed to them Wavelab crashes.
Bad news indeed.

Install the 32-bit version of WaveLab – it works perfectly on Windows 7 64-bit.

I don’t know about Mac, but isn’t there some way to run an application in 32-bit mode?

On Mac It is running in 32-bit by default but every single PowerCore plugin makes it crash.

MrSoundman: That’s a good point you have there. That way I could probably get rid of the very old WaveLab 6. Good thing that WaveLab 8 32 bit and 64 bit can live side by side. I don’t want to be stuck in 32 bit land of course. And I don’t understand what happened to TC Electronics. I use their Graphic EQ with the Funky Boost preset as a starting point all the time (on like “complete” productions with vocal, beat, bass, and other instruments). It’s just a studpid’ish name. The preset is a very in your face thing that brings out the best in music so very often. I’ll guess I’ll mimic the settings best I can with a new 64 bit EQ. Possible a Waves one, since a have that huge pack. Thank you everyone for input on this. Please continue to post when we find more information on 32 bit plugs in 64 bit apps. Is there an official Steinberg statement about this?

You can try a program called Jbridge which will allow you to use 32 bit plugins in 64 bit hosts or vice versa. I have used it with mixed success depending on the plugin. More info on this page: jBridge ( for Windows ) | J's stuff.

Good luck

Yes - it’s called 64 bit Native application - as it should be designed.

Any 64 bit app that “allows” 32bit plugs - is doing so by providing a crutch - that usually ends badly within the host app.

Run 32 bit WL if you insist on sticking with 32bit plugs. Or clean house and go 64 bit all the way. There is no “in between” with Wavelab 8.

It’s been this way for a long while so do not expect to discover any additional “official” statements about it.

VP

jBridge rocks! Very awesome. Works like a charm. Steinberg not having downwards support for 32 bit seems very lame too me. I hope they (re)add this feature.

Vocalpoint: Thanks. I forgot to answer and thank you.

I absolutely find your reply interesting, and assuming what you’re writing here is an absolute fact, I must change my mind about this issue. I’m thinking, like, Windows itself has downward-support from 64 to 32 at least. Maybe also to 16? So why should applications avoid this? I know too little about this certainly, and will read up a bit.

Can you explain why downward bit support (in lack of better term) can be a bad thing, or point me in a direction that might help me understand this better? I do agree and understand that legacy stuff is very often unwanted. It’s not like a have floppy or PATA support on my computers.

Also jBridge wasn’t as stable as I hoped. I seldom use it. But it’s a good thing that we have it.

Strictly from development standpoint - I believe that a true 64 bit application should remain crisp and clean - meaning it should only support it’s native plugins and should not have any conduits (bridges) that allow “old 32 bit tech” to run inside the host environment.

My main concern with this is certainly not to leave people hanging that want to use there old plugins - but more for those of us who have made the investment and the decision to move forward. Allowing 32 plugs to run in a 64 app can breed all sorts of nonsense since the designers of said 32bit plugs cannot be counted upon to have built their plugs to run properly in such an environment.

Conversely - adding a “bridge” into the mix forces devs like PG to constantly run around tweaking his conduit every time a bum plugin is encountered. From a paying customer angle - I would rather see PG working to give us the best possible Wavelab he can rather than worrying about why some 2002 32 bit plugin is crashing his 2014 WL release.

Cubase and Nuendo are “bridged” and gave me fits for a long while - until I dropped Nuendo completely and moved to pure 64 bit with Studio One V2)

From a personal standpoint - if one is moving to 64 bit - one needs to truly move. If your vendor cannot get off their butt and create a 64 bit version of a standard go-to plug - then I would think seriously about staying with that vendor.

Given it’s 2014 - going on 2015 and 64 bit is now the norm - I cannot see any reason to use any 32 bit plugs…but if you really need to - Wavelab comes in both flavors and can accommodate any plugs whether 32 or 64 bit.

VP