are 4K screens worth having?

Recentely upgraded my puter, I have a three screen rig, one being larger than the other two, ( i use the larger one for the mixer ) I’m wondering if I could buy two new 4K screens, would they run alongside the other ( not 4K ) screen? or would it create a problem?
any recomendations for 4K screens :slight_smile: ? and what about those ultra wide screens?

any advice apreciated and thank you… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hello…

I work with a wide screen monitor and it works well… if 4k is better for you, decide your respective applications…

Greetings mkzwoo

cheers mate… :slight_smile:

What’s annoying me in my setup of 2 x standard & 1 x 4k monitors is that mouse speed isn’t adjustable per resolution. Mousing on that 4k feels like wading in water, if I speed the mouse up to be ok on 4k it’s hard to be close to precise on lower resolution.

The most comfortable setting for me is having 2 x standard for project/mixer and th 4k on top where it offers a lot of space for analyzers, plugins and whatnot. To get readable display it’s scaled up 150 % - which actually makes it more like 3k :laughing:

I,ve just bought an 87cm wide screen, which is awesome…got the mixer on a 40cm by 70cm and cubase project page on the wide screen…lovely…

For 4k you need to be careful about the screen physical size. If it’s too small (and IMO 34" is too small for 4k) then the dot pitch is too small and you have to run screen scaling which kinda defeats the purpose of having all those pixels. Personally I wouldn’t go smaller than 43" for 4k. I have the LG 43" and apart from the known issues with parallax around the edges (backlight doesn’t extend beyond the screen so you don’t see the final 1/8" unless you’re directly in front of it) it’s fantastic. BTW that edge issue is common with larger screens. It hasn’t caused me any actual problem.

I find Windows 10 still struggles when faced with multiple monitors of differing resolutions, and this is just one of the problems. For example, a dialog box might open on a screen you don’t expect, i.e. you’re working on a 4K screen but the dialog opens on an FHD screen you’ve placed over to your left, and super-large because it thinks it’s on a 4K screen and has scaled up.

To get readable display it’s scaled up 150 % - which actually makes it more like 3k

If you have a 4K screen but have to set Windows scaling at 200%, then everything is still the same size as when you had FHD (1920x1080).

I’m working with 2 screens at 1920x1080 and one wide screen at 3440x1440 and having no issues whatsoever…

Indeed mixed resolutions are a mess as each and every software behaves different. Some of my plugins get tiny on that 4k screen, others adapt and scale reasonably, others display huge. Some change size when I drag them from 2k to 4k or vice versa, on some just the plugin window or the plugin gui change which creates either a chopped gui or a tiny guy in a big box with lots of black. That’s ‘cureable’ by dragging a plugin window completely to one screen then to another - the mess seems to come up when a window initially opens on two screens of different resolution/overlaps.

Seems like all parties manage resolution issues randomly - Microsoft, Steinberg, plugin vendors. No matter what settings I do in Windows or Cubase: some do what I expect/wish, other won’t. Changing settings means that different plugins are displayed ‘correctly’ (whatever that means) and those that did before don’t anymore :laughing:

If you have a 4K screen but have to set Windows scaling at 200%, then everything is still the same size as when you had FHD (1920x1080).

I know. Actually my old third monitor died and I bought that 28" 4k as replacement just because it was almost identical in price to a 2k. That 150 % scaling is the best compromise I’ve found yet.

As adrien pointed out

For 4k you need to be careful about the screen physical size. If it’s too small (and IMO 34" is too small for 4k) then the dot pitch is too small and you have to run screen scaling which kinda defeats the purpose of having all those pixels. Personally I wouldn’t go smaller than 43" for 4k.

28" are way too small for that amount of pixels unless you may have it at a very low distance. For me it’s just the third screen to ‘park’ analyzers, plugin guis and whatnot temporarily. At 150 % scaling I’m even able to read text/see desktop icons which get supertiny on 100 % (and scaling just those up by ctrl + mousewheel up gives me superbig icons on the 2k screens - looking like a kid’s desktop :mrgreen:

I just take it as it is and do some music meanwhile.

Hi shadow fax, may i know which wide screen model that uve bought?

Hi sorry about the late reply my friend…I bought a SamsungLS34J550W QUXEN…Works great…very happy with it…

I believe you can use a combination of 4K and non-4K monitor for your rig. I also think that there would be no inconsistencies in the viewing experience. So go ahead with your idea. And check out Acer 4K UMHX1AAB01. It is a perfect model.

Cheers.

Future is 4k ultra, so it is better to switch to 4k timely.
Cheers!

It’s possible, but in Windows 10 at least, and with current Windows software, it just doesn’t work very well in practise.

I have 2 x Dell 43" 4K screens and it works very well.

Yes, even I have one of Dell. But it is not 43 inches of size. It is Dell 21 inches 4K Ultra which I bought from online from amazon.in