Are Dotted Stems Possible?

Yes, that was my point to another poster that lines are meant for things like crossed voices, not for stems. As my grad advisor would say “There is CORN-fusion” (I went to a school in corn country :grin: )

Alfred is just plain different - it has an extra note and a tie (to a note with a staccato dot on it, so I’m not sure what that means!)

This is all OT of course but that’s how it went. The Alfred editions examine all extant copies of some important music like WTC and try to get to the ‘real’ urtext. And perhaps better, because of course Bach dashed these out probably, so they will do some edits that preserve the music to the listener, but are better notationally. In this example the (d) tells us that this version is from the London autograph and shows us the bar (which didn’t have the dots).

Anyhow yeah there’s a lot going on in this bar, I’m not sure other what they mean by the dots, but I would just take it to play those with some alacrity.

1 Like

I apologize; I misunderstood… popping in and out of threads randomly will do that to you… Now that I scan the thread again I see what you were demonstrating, and I agree with you.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

To anyone who is waiting to hear what the dotted stems represented, I just had a meeting with the composer and found out. Unfortunately, I can only disappoint everyone by saying it was a photocopying error and it meant nothing at all! :joy:

Thank you to everyone who got involved in the very interesting discussion and who tried to help me and sorry if I wasted anyone’s time.

:slight_smile:
all the best, Louie

6 Likes

‘Feature removal request’ :laughing:

2 Likes