Are Steinberg/Yamaha planning an affordable 8-10 hardware fader controller with CC121-like integration?

I already tried using the app by itself. Everybody who has this issue (and there are waaaay more of us than you “Lucky Guys”) will tell you that you cannot go above 40 tracks, if you want to use this app. My basic template starts at 116 tracks. So, I can only use the Artist Series hardware. I’ve been fighting this battle since 2018. It’s not worth it anymore.

I have been using the Raven Mti2 for a year now with Nuendo. The macros are great, but as Mattias pointed out, I do mostly post work, and the monitor being 1080, and having the command strip take up 25% of the screen leaves very little space to view 100 tracks in a mix to find what you need. It has been a struggle, but recently I set up the visibility configs on command buttons, as well as the commands to show only tracks with regions under the playhead and between the locators. It has completely changed the workflow and allowed me to quickly find what I needed to work on. I got the idea from watching a Nuage tutorial. So I have gone through and made key commands for a huge amount of functions I could never remember and assigned them to the layouts and buttons of the Raven. It has allowed me to be far more efficient with the mixes, but I still really miss grabbing a fader without looking, which I can not do on the screen. I love the idea of the S1 and S3, but the track visibility issue is a non starter. There is a workaround however. If you choose to keep the tracks in a visibility config to the left or right by choosing those buttons in the zones window, you can keep them all in a row when you select the visibility config, and you don’t have to worry about the tracks not hiding. At least you can find them quickly. I am, considering moving from the Raven to an S1 and using this workaround. We really do need an affordable, reliable controller for Cubendo that doesn’t cost $25,000.

One year later I return to this thread. Why don’t Cubase/Nuendo users have a specific 8-fader daw controller yet? We need a controller to move quickly through the mixer and to also follow us if we make any movements with the mouse. Directly access to sends, insertions, routes, etc. Efficiently handle native and third-party plugins. Access the different areas of our daw directly. In short, improve our workflow in the daw. I think it’s obvious. I don’t want FADER 1, nor UF8, nor S1. I have tried some and yes, they are very good, but they do not get all the fluidity that I could achieve with something specific, especially with the issue of track and bank tracking. I think Yamaha and Steinberg have the potential to make a good, extensible 8-fader controller with good materials and attractive design. I think it would be an important turning point in the evolution of this formidable Daw.

I have tried the Raven briefly.
It‘s not for me.

aah. and the crash Mattias is talking about happened on my system as well when using Nuendo. Have not tried with the latest N and EuCon iterations, though.

I would personaly like ti see an upgrade to cc121.
Something like protools dock.
With ability to EASY control plugins, sends etc.
Used protools dock at friends studio and must say it is amazing

Exactly, soundcage, avid has had the avid artist mix for many years, now the s1, s3. They have a specific daw controller of 4, 8 and more faders to control their Daw. But Steinberg we only have the CC121, which is fine but lacking. When I see avid daw controllers, I drool. I don’t know about company policies, but I think having a good specific daw controller within the reach of a home studio is something Steinberg should consider. It doesn’t matter if you are a professional or an amateur. And even more so now that almost everything is done in the box.

same here - everything works like a charme, Avid S1, Firmware and Nuendo all the leates versions.
Works / runs without problems or crashes except the known Eucon Issues with Nuendo / Cubase which are also annoying as hell and lead to the point, that for a professional workflow EuCon controllers and Steinberg software don’t match…
EUCON Update! - #176 by chednb

I think that was someone else. Bummer though. Crashes aren’t fun.

They probably have. They had the touch-sensitive ones as an alternative to the pricier Nuage system. I still think most of this comes down to how much money to spend on R&D and then what the return on that investment would be. I think it’d be smaller and less of a ‘sure thing’ than Yamaha/Steinberg would want.

And from a personal perspective it’s not an obvious buy even if the price is right. I’ve rented Pro Tools for short periods twice this past year in order to finish projects I started elsewhere, and being able to boot up and use the same controller with essentially the same functionality is really great for those of us that “need” that. With a dedicated Steinberg controller I would imagine we’d be stuck with the generic MCU protocol which has a quirk I don’t like when in Pro Tools. So to me it’s probably a tougher sell than for others.

But then we also have to add that people all want different things and there is zero consensus of what users want in a controller, so it just makes it so much harder to get a lot of sales I think… or at least feel that it’s a guarantee…

i get the point, but the fact that yamaha “owns” steinberg (correct me if i am wrong), and yamaha creates digital mixing desks, i fail to see R&D issues… besides, they already did a lot R&D making nuage. just scale ti down and implement the software. i mean they are in position to make the best daw controllers on planet because their unique partnership.

1 Like

that is why i dont understand why they made nuage. at that pricepoint probably 90% would buy avid controller because is is eucon, and (i know it is buggy) works both on protools and steinberg

Endless discussion which boils down to “I want more for less money”.
If Yamaha would offer a scaled down controller, then it would have less features and be on par with the Avid stuff. Same but different.

The price tag that comes with tNuage is just because it is extremely deeply integrated into Nuendo.
That’s not something you see on the outside.
So Nuage offers much more than knobs and faders, which are by the way, of excellent quality too.

I repeat, I work at least 30 to 50% faster with Nuage.
Don’t take my word for it, ask anyone who owns a Nuage system.

Fredo

3 Likes

Fredo I do not think this is the case here.

I thin it is more about the form factor.

I personally really prefer to always have a mouse and keybord as well as a jog whell and faders, they all have their benefits for my kind of workflow. That’s why I had a split id controller with a normal wooden desk in the middle and the two parts of the controller to the sides. Now I have an S3 and that is working for me as well.

Fredo, we are in a different league.

i was actualy shocked to see that nuage master section does not have that single fader that follows selected track…
shame because it would fit perfectly to most small to mid size studios (form factor, features and integration).
and YES, that single fader actualy does make sense when working on smaller projects

I used to consult with Devil Technologies on the D-Touch stuff and before that, a hardware surface that never saw the light of day.

One thing I was begging for was a hybrid approach surface. A touch screen is fine for buttons and other gestures (navigation through faders, etc.) but sucks for fader manipulation. So, 8-16 physical faders are on the desk in front of you. On the right side of the faders would be an AI knob like the CC121. This would be for any rotary control manipulation…touch a rotary and it is auto-mapped to the knob.

You could implement this for cheap and it would be more powerful than pretty much anything else in the controller world…and all the components have been in existence for years and years. I don’t get why nobody has looked at this.

2 Likes

I totaly agree. That would have been something really nice.

But I think you can use a CC121 on the side of the Master Section.

Fredo

I don’t get it why Steinberg isn’t finally fixing the remaining EuCon issues. If they do, you have the “answer” for this threads title: use an Avid S1 or Avid S3!

The Avid S1 and S3 are controllers, which Steinberg users are looking for (in terms of price and form factor). And there are just a few issues left, to be able to work in a professional way with Avid controllers in Nuendo / Cubase imho

1. Nuendo doesn’t follow scrolling in the Avid control app / nudging or banking on the Avid controller
  2. selecting tracks via touching the faders causes the fader position jumping to -0.06dB (using an Avid S1) - Fader calibration in general!
  3. if you open a plugin via the Avid controller, it opens in Nuendo, but when you close it on the Avid controller (e.g. using the “back” button on the S1) it is not closing in Nuendo and remains on the screen

We already got the Mixer mirror issue fixed in Nuendo 11, which was also super super important.
So if we can get the remaining 3 “major” issues fixed, for me the Avid controllers are the most professional and affordable choice.

I can’t imagine that these 3 issues are so hard to fix… Issue 1 is already recognized by the small grey indicators moving when banking or nudging. But Nuendo simply doesn’t follow!

Issue 2 maybe is a little bit more challenging due to calibration etc. …

Issue 3 should be done very quickly as well imho

cheers

2 Likes

Hello,
No. 3 has been repaired with the last Eucon update.(Artist Series) So it is apparently an AVID problem. Maybe that’s the same with the other problems?
Greetings Michael

3 Likes

@Echolux Nice! Just updated and can confirm that plugins are now closing in Nuendo too when closing them via the controller!

Yes, maybe it depends on Avid, I don’t know… But for example, the big mixer mirror issue, which was fixed in Nuendo 11, was a Steinberg thing…
OK, so for me there is really one last big issue and that’s the navigation problem because Nuendo isn’t following / scrolling when nudging and banking. The fader callibration is “negligible” as long as it is not more than the -0.06dB, allthough it is not professional at all imho.

1 Like