Are the Cubase Provided sounds in Media Bay Royalty Free?

Hi all,

Sorry if this seems simplistic or obvious but I really don’t know. If I make a song using sounds that come pre-packaged in Cubase 7.5 (such as drum beats etc. found in the media bay), can I use them freely without any penalty or royalties owed to anyone?

I am so used to making my own stuff using the library samples I own, never used the “free sounds and drum loops etc.” that DAW’s offer.

Thanks,

Maestro2be

As far as I know: Yes!

You’ve payed for the product (I guess, hehe), so you can use their samples commercially as well!

I was asking myself the same question…
Are you sure Maxxive?
thanx

arfo

I read the entire EULA and found the answer.

Section 2. Grant of License

1. The samples of so-called Loops remain the property of the respective rights holder (Big Fish Audio, Inc. and other licensors) and are licensed by Steinberg to you only for use in the creation of a live or recorded performance that includes the licensed samples as part of a derivative musical work created by the licensed end user. This license includes the use of the samples, the modification of the samples and the marketing of the derivative musical work without infringing any rights of copyright collecting societies and/or the owners of copyrights in any samples. The samples may not be included, whether unmodified or as part of a derivative work, in any sample library product.

So it’s very clear that you can legally use them, alter them and even market your music using them but you cannot use them in a setting where you made your own “library” or “loops” etc. and made money from that.

However you can clearly use them in your songs or live performances and edit/manipulate them to your liking and not break any copyright laws as long as you are the rightful/lawful owner of the License that granted these loops (in my case my Cubase 7.5 License).

That satisfies my requirements.

Maestro2be

3 Likes

That’s great:-)
Thank you Maestro!
arfo

I’m sorry, but I can’t help myself…

Told ya so :stuck_out_tongue: