Are the Steinberg plugins in Cubase 8 64bit still 32bit?

I’m still on Cubase 6.07 and have recently built a new DAW as an upgrade from my old system and noticed the vast majority of Cubase plugins are still 32bit which is a bit disappointing. I’ve not used it enough to see how they will work but some of my old 32bit plugins cause a VSTBridge crash (only loading them to copy over settings to new 64bit plugins, all 3rd party). Interestingly, they continue to work even after getting the crash window, it’s more a nuisance while I am working to copy the settings into the new (different) plugins. I do use a bunch of Steinberg plugins so my concern of course is possible crash messages in the future and I really wanted everything to be 64bit on the new system. So I was wondering if either Cubase 8 or 7 has revised 64bit included plugins. If so, if I bought the upgrade and registered it could I then simply copy those plugins into the Cubase 6 vstplugins folder? I do not want to completely upgrade to a newer Cubase version at this point, don’t even want to get into that or discuss it, I am very very happy with 6 at this time. Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Rev.

Can anyone check this for me please? You can easily tell whether or not it’s 32bit as the little icon shows up next to the plugins when you see them in the list when selecting a plugin to load. The ones that are 64bit don’t have the little double slash icon.

Rev.

Hello,

all stock plug-ins are 64-bit.

Are you sure it’s not the VST3 symbol you are seeing?
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=57230#p348417

Regards,

Yeah, not all third-party 32-bit plugins bridge properly. I’ve never seen an issue with any of the 32-bit plugs that used to come with Cubase.

Also, I think all bundled plugins have included 64-bit versions since at least 7.0. Version 5.x definitely still had a few 32-bit ones. Can’t remember about 6. How are you confirming the bitness of your plugins? Like Fabio said, the icons throw some people off. I think the Plug-in Information window gives some kind of indication when it detects a 32-bit/x86 plugin.

Only exceptions in Cubase 6: the Legacy Plug-ins Embracer and Monologue, both 32-bit.

Indeed, the Plug-Ins Information panel will tell you which plug-ins are bridged adding (Win32) to the VST version under ‘SDK’.

Nope, it’s the 32bit image I am seeing next to many of the steinberg included plugins. Most actually list as 32 bit. Btw, this is only referring to the effect plugins, I don’t use the included synths.

Rev.

Then you might have x86 paths included in the scanned locations.
The VST2 dlls are placed in the program folder specific to each version, but it is possible to point Cubase to load the x86 versions as well.

Can you post a screen-shot of the plug-ins list and one of the VST2.x Paths in the Plug-In Information panel, please?

Sure, I’ll do that when I get home from work this evening. I truly appreciate the help!! Just to clarify, I always install Cubase to C:\Cubase6, so the plugin path is also changed to reflect - C:\Cubase6\vstplugins. When I browse the list of effect plugins the majority are showing the two slash icon next to them and I’ve also verified loading any of them starts the vstbridge process in the taskmanager. But I will take a screenshot tonight and post. Thanks again!

Rev.

I always install Cubase to C:\Cubase6

It’s common practice to install 32 bit programs to c:\Program Files (x86) and 64bit to c:\program Files. WIndows sets up these folders for you and most installers will automatically do this for you.

Often 64bit and 32bit versions otherwise have identical file structures and filenames so they need to be installed to different parent folders.

It’s not clear from your post if you’re doing this, but you should at least install 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in separate folders. A lot of plugin installers automatically install both 32-bit and 64-bit plugs on 64-bit Windows, and they don’t all handle using the same folder path for both platforms very well. (You might end up getting one file replaced by the other.)

I do something kind of similar to you; one of my hard drives is dedicated to programs and plugins, and the root of that drive looks like this:

Disregard if you’re already keeping them separate somehow.

I do the same thing with almost the same names.

On Windows at least, VST plugin paths are a serious mess. Just a free for all. If you don’t take matters into your own hands, it can get confusing. Using only the default paths that the various Installers choose, it’s easy to end up with Cubendo seeing/using the 32 bit versions of plugins instead of the 64 bit versions.

If you’re all 64 bit, don’t even install the 32 bit versions if they give you that choice.