Are there any updates coming soon to Dorico?

I am presently on 3.5 and thought I had seen something about some updates coming along…

No, there are no imminent updates expected. Dorico 4 is expected before the end of the year, but it’s not coming soon.

5 Likes

The end of the year is only 3 months away… so the end of '21?

That’s correct, when I say “the end of the year”, I mean the end of the current year, so 2021. And by my reckoning there are still four whole months left in 2021 at the time of writing, so we are only two thirds of the way through the year.

4 Likes

I teach school. I feel like the end of the summer is the end of the year… thanks for the reply. I really enjoy the product, and I know I barely scratch the surface as to what it can do…

Well, in the words of Ford Prefect, “time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.”

19 Likes

So we will have to be patient … Releasing the iPad version of Dorico was a great move in regards of the competition with StaffPad and now Sibellius for iPad (an only regret : no decent playback engine as NotePerformer equivalent on the iPad version). I am crossing fingers that Dorico 4.0 will have the same layer as the iPad version with the velocity and CCs below the score as in the iPad Version (and please the copy/paste of the CCs with the notes !!!). Last but not least I was quite disappointed to see the new Steinberg.net website released today highlighting only Cubase and Nuendo : the excellent Dorico in lost in the “others” tab : what a pity for such a brilliant and powerful software.

Soooo, the rumor mill has been too quiet, how about some idle speculation as to what we will see, just so the team can have a good laugh? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Some things from iPad

• Retrograde, invert and other operations (correct me on this)
  • Piano roll interface
  • What else? I’m missing some stuff here

New stuff speculation

• Roman Numeral analysis
  • New licensing system - coming first to Dorico
  • Cubase/Nuendo integration? I can hope!
2 Likes

I have anxiety from waiting so long for Dorico 4 :grimacing:

2 Likes

Sounds like I should start planning Christmas presents (to myself), and I’ll budget with Black Friday sales, accordingly…:slightly_smiling_face:

Idle speculation time it is…

I’m looking forward to an improved mixer - I suspect that’ll be in there. I’d like to see more tools for editing in the midi lanes. Improvements to Master Pages and users being able to define Instruments would be very welcome. I’m interested to see if all the work that was done with the code and addressing the new technology transitions has opened up new possibilities. But most of all, I’m hoping that 4.0 will address what I would refer to as unfinished business - turns / pauses / plurals / slurs into repeat endings etc.

That said, whatever materialises is fine with me. The team have proved time and again that each major release adds to an already outstanding product. The real strength of these releases isn’t just the major new features, it’s the ton of additional stuff that’s making what’s already there even better. I’ve no doubt that’ll be the case when 4.0 arrives and I’ll be as every bit as delighted as I always am.

3 Likes

Something very welcome that Daniel mentioned is coming: a single menu with all of your settings underneath, like Layout, Write, Engrave and Play settings, Expression maps, etc. Presently the settings are all over the place and so takes some steps to get to.

2 Likes

How about not?

4 Likes

Each to their own, Alexander. Ever since 1.5 there have been threads of this kind - so long as it’s well-meaning, I personally see nothing wrong in it. It’s when users thump the table and say their needs are being overlooked that I tend to walk away.

4 Likes

thump! thump!

1 Like

Wow, that’s… a lot. But thanks!

4 Likes

There’s a frood who really knows where his towel is.

2 Likes

The integration (or even just simple ReWire equivalent) with Cubase would make me bust out a happy dance!

2 Likes

I’m looking so foward to a Dorico/Cubase super combination!

1 Like