Are there settings to improve this note spacing?

This is with factory defaults:
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 10.22.06

I understand that the horizontal distances between all rhythmic positions are the same but I think that does not result in a well readable part in this case. Are there settings available to make this spacing optically better without very much increasing the total width? Just checking; if not, I’ll probably split it in 2 triplets for the right and left hand because I don’t like manual spacing adjustments. Thanks in advance!

If your piece is for solo piano, then you can switch on the optical beaming option on the Note Spacing page of Layout Options, which will produce a much nicer result, but if you have other instruments in the ensemble, it will produce spacing distortion for non-cross staff notes at those rhythmic positions.

Thank you for the quick answer! I didn’t know that option so great to know about it. A pity that I cannot enable it for this piece (a piano quintet):

Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 10.56.33

The good news is it will be on by default in your piano part layout. But yes, you’ll need to use the little round handles in the note spacing tool in Engrave mode to fudge this a bit.

1 Like