Are VST preset files from Cubase compatible with Dorico?

If I save an instrument using the “save preset” in the top of the plugin window in Cubase, can this file be opened by Dorico when loading VST instruments?

This is not an official reply, but I think not. They are, after all still different programs. The only file formats they share are standardized exchange formats like MIDI, XML, etc. Cubase Expression Maps can be imported because the Dorico team has specifically added this functionality, but so far as I am aware no such functionality exists for VST instrument presets.

I don’t have Cubase, but if a VST plugin has its own option to load/save presets displayed in its own user interface, that should work the same way in any application.

But if this “save preset” button is something provided by Cubase and not by the plugin, AFAIK there isn’t nothing equivalent in Dorico.

The Dorico manual makes no mention of these presets, but that save/load slot is there.

The images here show the VST preset dialog in Cubase and Dorico.

Did you not try it out? I’ve just did with a reverb plug-in and the preset created in Dorico also appeared in the plug-in’s preset list when used in Cubase.

I just ran a test.

I saved a VST preset in Cubase for a SWAM oboe and it worked inside Dorico.

I had to place the new file in Owner->Documents->VST3 Presets->Audio Modeling->SWAM Oboe 64bit for this to work as I run Cubase and Dorico on separate computers.

I’m guessing Cubase or Dorico “see” any of the files located in the “VST3 Presets” folder when loading a preset from the menu shown in the photos.

It seems this is a common file format between the two then. I will have to run the test in the opposite direction as well.

It has nothing to do with Dorico (or Cubase). You will get the same option in any other program than can use VST instruments, e.g. Reaper or Logic. But not all VST instruments provide the option.

A more interesting question is whether the Dorico project will automatically remember what preset you used when you save the project. The answer is likely to be yes, so try it. If so, you won’t have to remember to manually load the preset every time.

Interesting.

This statement is absolutely absurd. I’m at a loss of words for your thought process is here.
The reality quite literally the opposite.

“VST” has everything to do with Dorico and Cubase. The VST (Virtual Studio Technology) standard was invented by Steinberg in 1996 for use with Cubase 3. All of the VST plugins you use are licensing Steinberg technology. Moreover, how to manage VSTs in any program that runs them damn well better be a part of manual.

Logic does not use VST files. It uses the AU format, so no it is not able to save VST presets.
Look at the photos I have included that show the VST preset save point.

Well, I’m at a loss to follow your thought process as well.

A VST should work the same way in every VST host. If Steinberg had intended VSTs to be proprietary technology, it would never have released the VST SDK for any software developer to use.

The Dorico documentation does tell you how to “manage” VSTs. That is what Play Mode is for. But it doesn’t (and can’t) explain exactly what every VST ever written does internally.

Do you really think Steinberg should be providing full documentation about how to use Garritan’s Aria player, Native Instrument’s Kontakt players, Pianoteq’s virtual modelling instruments, etc, etc?

The SWAM virtual modelling instruments are written by Audio Modelling, and that company has no connection with Steinberg. It doesn’t even list Steinberg on the “Partnerships” page of its website. The documentation for SWAM is written by Audio Modelling, not Steinberg.

Fair enough, I temporarily forgot that Apple only supports its own proprietary software standards (e.g. Audio Units). But an AU plugin is not a VST plugin, so I don’t see the relevance to the question at the start of this thread.

Replace “Logic” in my earlier post with another DAW which does support VSTs. There are dozens to choose from.

Rob’s point is that if a VST can save a preset, then that preset can be loaded into the VST, whatever the application in which the VST is running. To that extent, it’s irrelevant whether it’s Dorico or Cubase.

You are confusing “VST” with “VI”. The former is a plugin platform, the latter refers to “Virtual Instrument”.
Loading Kontakt or the Aria player is not “VST”. It is an example of VIs being loaded into the AU format.

The “VST preset” files and menu I am referring to (again if you look at photos I provided) in part of the host platform. It is not provided by the plugin itself. This means it is in the domain of the host software coding, and hence, needs to be included in any manuals for software in which the technology appears.

A search for “preset” in the most recent Dorico manual provides no reference to these files.

Also, do not confuse the VIs internal preset management with a VST preset. The former is part of the plugin code, the latter is part of the DAW/host code. They are two separate save points.

You are also confusing “VST” with “VI”. They are not the same thing.

Nah, “VST” is pretty universally used to refer to a virtual instrument. There technically may be a distinction, but the usage of the acronym has pretty well changed.

I think DaddO and Ulf answered the question asked in the original post. I’m not sure why the OP feels it necessary to have the last word.

You are perpetuating a misunderstanding.

“VST” and “VI” are two different things. You are using them interchangeably. It is important that you, as a professional, understand the difference.

“VST” refers to a plugin format which Steinberg invented and has licensed to 3rds parties.
“VI” refers to a “Virtual Instrument”.
“VST” can refer to any plugin in that format, including FX and VIs.
“VI” is a generic term that refers to a virtual instrument on any plugin platform.
It is the difference between saying “THX” and “FX”.
It is the difference between saying “Dolby” and “surround sound”.
They are not synonymous.

When you go to install a plugin, depending on what platform you are using, you will often see a checklist of options,
AAX, RTAS, AU, VST2 and VST3 being common.

If you use Protools or Logic exclusively, you will never need to install a VST, because they don’t run VST plugins.
Many platforms use VST plugins: Ableton, Max/msp, Fruity Loops, Reason, Studio One, Digital Performer etc.
But not all plugins are VST.

Don’t understand yet?

Go here and download the Logic Pro X user’s manual:

Or here and download the Logic Pro X Instruments user’s guide:

Search for the term “VST” in both of these documents and you will get no hits. Because Logic does not use VST.

I expect the professionals here to know the difference so we can communicate with specificity about the tools we are using.
Both the software users and programmers need to know distinctions like this.

MPCEssentials_Install1.png

Lol, I’m an amateur. But thanks! :wink:

Because if you can follow the thread at all, DaddO’s response is wrong, and Ulf’s response contradicts DaddO’s response (meaning that they can’t both be right):

“This is not an official reply, but I think not. They are, after all still different programs. The only file formats they share are standardized exchange formats like MIDI, XML, etc. Cubase Expression Maps can be imported because the Dorico team has specifically added this functionality, but so far as I am aware no such functionality exists for VST instrument presets.” - DaddO

…is wrong because as I showed in a subsequent post (with screenshots), that VST preset functionality exists in both Cubase and Dorico.
Then I ran a test that confirmed ULF’s test- I saved a VST preset in Cubase and opened it in Dorico.
ULF is the only one in this thread who even seems to understand the question being asked, so the only one capable of having a valid answer.
(And thank you! I will now be using the VST preset to exchange files between the programs.)

After that we have a pile on of people who, presumably, have the “VST preset” (which appears in the very upper part of the plugin window) conflated with the preset file management internal to the plugin.

AS A DISTINCTION FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL CONFUSED:

There are two different menus available as plugin save points in Cubase and Dorico.

1. The VST preset save point (which is coded into the host/DAW)
  2. The internal preset save point (which is coded into the plugin)

If you check the title of this thread and all of the subsequent posts I wrote to delineate the issue, I am making reference to the former:
The VST preset.

I have included 6 pictures to further illustrate the difference: