Arguments for using Cubase ai 10 as opposed to Cakewalk, with a DGX 670?

I have used Cubase for some years, yet I wish things to be intuitive and easy and I haven’t really gone into depths with the functionality. Well I know the basic ways of editing but haven’t really done much regarding the effects. I compose piano pieces and CUbase has the Notesheet functionality I suppose, although I don’t know if that is in another version.
I know Cakewalk has got it all for free so why not choose that?

I use both.

There’s no reason you can’t give Cakewalk a try, it’s free.

Thanks. I am installing Cakewalk as we speak but first cleaning my harddisk. DO you have any recommendation regarding the install: TO use basic or advanced? If I should install the Cakewalk and Assistant to C (only 256 GB SSD) but then save all the plugins and files in D (1TB)? THat is why I am uninstalling unnecessary things. I think Cakewalk is about 30 GB perhaps. I don’t wanna mess with strange links that later don’t work correctly.

Why do you use both? WHat is missing in Cakewalk /CUbase respectively?

Just be careful with Cakewalk creating new VST locations, after I installed it, whenever I install plugins they try to install into the Cakewalk folder by default and it’s an annoyance as another plugin location to manage in other DAWs.

OK txs. DO you mean it is an annoyance if I need to open the Cakewalk VSt’s in CUbase for instance?

Yes, you’ll need to add the C;\Program Files\Cakewalk\VST Plug-ins path to Cubase or any other program you want to see your Cakewalk plugins. You’d be much better off installing your Cakewalk plugins in a common folder. I long ago started using custom folders at root level to make things easy. I use these two:
C:\VST32
C:\VST64

Makes life simple.

1 Like

Cakewalk has too slow real time mixer during playback, Not only it is doing clicking during multiple track playback, it is doing holes as well.

It’s not just that, it’s that during installation Cakewalk creates a location for VST plugins (C;\Program Files\Cakewalk\VST Plug-ins) and for me, this was picked up as the default location when installing new third party plugins . Which fragmented where my plugins were stored.

Just thought I’d mention it, as it can cause confusion further down the road.

1 Like

Considering to just stick with Cubase. TOo big a mouthful with two DAWs I guess. I probably will just watch some videos to get to know the functionality more in detail. Haven’t even gotten hold of the VST use in Cubase. I mostly use the onboard sounds of the Digital piano.

OK so then one installs both the VSTs of CUbase and Cakewalk in these root folders? Can the two DAWs distinguish which i which and are they compatible?

I install all my plugins, or at least the ones that give you a choice, into those folders. That way you don’t need to list a whole bunch of paths for various programs to find your plugins.
Cubase no longer supports 32 bit plugins so don’t list the VST32 folder for Cubase, but the plug-in manager in Cubase will let you know, and will deactivate, any plugins it finds that it doesn’t like. For instance some of Cakewalk’s plugins are only for its Pro Channel and Cubase will blacklist those. You shouldn’t have any trouble though. Most reputable vendors follow the VST standard pretty well so good plugins should work in any DAW or program that follows the standard.

OK thank you:-).