Armed Tracks Don't Render

Not sure if this is a new thing, or if I’ve only just noticed it recently, but when I’m doing renders, any tracks that are armed will not print. Is there any way to disable this?

It’s especially problematic if, like me, you like having “Enable Record on Selected Audio Track” enabled and you also want to use the new “Sync Selection to Channel/Track Selection” function to export multiple tracks.

I think this is normal behaviour… and it is not changeable

Thanks. Disappointing to hear that it can’t be disabled :-/

think about it? … if a track is record armed then in theory there’s nothing to render. That’s exactly as it should be.
Is it really that hard to un arm a track?

M

As I mentioned in my original post, it’s problematic when you have “Enable Record on Selected Audio Track” enabled and also want to use the new “Sync Selection to Channel/Track Selection” function to export multiple tracks. It essentially negates the advantage of linking the selection to what you want to export.

And no, it’s not that hard, but even in scenarios other than the aforementioned, sometimes tracks remain selected during a mixdown and go unnoticed, thus it’s an annoyance.

As far as “how it should be” I suppose that line of thinking makes sense if you want Cubase to behave precisely like an analogue signal path, but I don’t see any practical reason to arm a track during a render and thus exclude it from the mixdown.

The feature would be akin to having the option to deactivate external MIDI inputs during render. It’s also not that hard to not touch your MIDI controllers during mixdown but alas, we still have that option.

Bumping this. Cubase 12 and it’s still doing this. So annoying.

What renders do you do? Asking because I never experienced this problem.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Record Enable.
However this is related to Monitoring. When the tracks are monitored, it will render the monitored signal and not what’s on the track. For this reason you have to make sure Auto Monitoring isn’t enabled in Preferences → VST :

@Johnny_Moneto it happens when rendering a stereo mix, or multiple tracks at once.

Exactly this

@Louis_R it is tied to record enable in my case because I almost always have Tapemachine Style enabled by default, so if a track is armed, monitoring is thus enabled. And I also have “Enable Record on Selected Audio Track" on by default, so if a track is selected, it is armed and monitoring. But yes you are technically correct that it is ultimately the monitoring state.

At any rate - yes, I am aware that the monitoring mode and state can be changed so that no tracks are monitoring, but my whole point is that it’s very easy to accidentally leave monitoring enabled on a track, and then have blank stem or a part missing from my mix. It’s just a pain in the arse to have to think about that every time I do a render, double check my stems and mixes to make sure nothing is missing, then go back and find the track, disable the monitoring, and re-render.

It just seems like a very cumbersome and unnecessary feature, and if you can think of a useful purpose for this, I’m all ears. If I wanted a track muted on mixdown, I would use the mute button.

That being said, perhaps I should be messaging Steinberg directly instead of ranting on a message board… -_-

Yes it is “tied” to Record Enable button, although it isn’t the Record Enable function itself, but I don’t understand why this would be a pain to think about it every time you’re rendering tracks. This is actually the same as when the tracks are muted, you have to verify they aren’t muted. When you’re driving your car, you suddenly don’t forget how to reverse, do you ? You just have to get used to what settings you are using.

The “Enable Record on Selected Audio Track" option is actually very practical when recording in a loop. You can easily change which tracks are recording by clicking them on the fly, instead of having to aim the pointer precisely at the Record Enable button.

Yes that feature is great, which is why I use it. You can also easily navigate between the active record-armed track using the arrow keys. Great for doing doubles.

The difference between this and a muted track is the muted track is obvious when you play back, but in Tapemachine mode, everything sounds fine on playback but then your final render has no guitar solo.

Just because you don’t understand why it is a pain, doesn’t mean it isn’t. I have a certain way of working and it’s obviously causing me frustration - otherwise, I wouldn’t be on here bitching about it. As for your car analogy… dude… I don’t even know what to say about that. It’s not even close to being the same thing.

Anyway, I think this discussion has gotten past the point of anything useful. I have yet to hear one good reason for this behaviour and I’m finding it odd how people are so dedicated to defending the existence of something that serves no useful purpose and clearly causes problems for some users, simply because “that’s exactly as it should be”. :man_shrugging:t3:

The only one I can think of is if you are doing a Realtime Export. Then I think it makes sense to honor the channel monitor. In all other cases, I agree with OP, that state should be disregarded IMHO.
(I would add the “feature-request” tag to the thread.)

2 Likes

The monitor is rendered wether you’re doing realtime or not.

On another topic I posted a trick to render in place a Group on a track by using Monitor, and it works without realtime, so the same outcome is expected when using export / mixdown.

1 Like

@mlindeb Thanks for the suggestion. Good call on adding the tag, but it’s not letting me edit the title for some reason… :-/

1 Like

Agree with @mlib
To the OP:

Because of this I created a macro for all export operations, which first disabled monitor/record arm on every track. That should help in the meantime!

1 Like

Good call, thank you! I will do the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cubase being a complicated little fellow again.