Arpeggio lines on grace notes?

I’ve just discovered, to a bit of annoyance, that this combo doesn’t seem to be possible.

Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 5.14.11 PM

Seems very possible to me.
Select all the actual notes, including the grace notes, and click on the line.

You might also need to activate this Property.

isn’t there a vertical bracket like that in Ornaments?

(that has nothing to do with arpeggio, by the way)

There is, and you call it with shift-o, nonarp :rofl:

1 Like

(a bit of off topic)
At Schiphol Airport me and my family went through border control. When we showed our passports from 3 different countries the officer had a close look, shook his head and said “anything is possible” - and let us through of course :slight_smile:
I keep his words in my mind…

2 Likes

:crazy_face:

so sue me LOL

I use it as a non-divisi bracket :smile:

on a theoretical point: generally, it is reserved for harp parts to indicate “non arp.”, so it’s rather rare that you will see it having anything to do with arpeggiation elsewhere.

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 12.53.04 AM

as I said, it pretty much only applies to harp notation, as no other instrument would mark “do not arpeggiate”.

it certainly doesn’t indicate any type of arpeggio performance. it indicates the lack of arpeggiation.

Well, Bax wrote it for Cello! Sort of one of those cases of I don’t really care what it means, I just need to recreate. Away from my PC for today so I haven’t been able to try any of the workarounds proposed so far

I also use a straight bracket as a shorter form for an occasional non div. in string parts. I’m fairly sure I’ve seen it elsewhere. Not sure if it’s generally accepted, but I’ve never had complaints that players didn’t understand it.

This is a very common notation for double stops in the session world.

2 Likes

I think it is a generally understood convention.

Behind Bars p. 132 says a bracket can generally mean non arpeggiando (not just for harp).

On p. 428 it says it can mean non div. for string instruments. The bracket also clarifies part division for stemless notes.

It says at the bottom that there can be ambiguity between the two meanings and to clarify with text if necessary.

3 Likes

Thanks. I could have looked it up in Gould myself… Christmas brain fog, I guess :upside_down_face:

In harp music, instead of a bracket per se, I have more often seen a simple straight line contrasted with the wiggly line. To me (again: for Harp) the bracket does not read as “non arp” but as a hand, as for Piano – except that the last bracket in Gould p. 132 above can’t be reached by one hand (so as a result doesn’t make sense to my eye).

IMO the semantics of this in Dorico were improved when it introduced vertical line annotations. Now we can have brackets and vertical lines without reference to “arpeggio”. (And I am relieved to find there is a “Line before grace notes” switch in Properties as well.)

2 Likes