Arrowed microtonal accidentals

Hello again!

I can’t find the arrowed-microtonal accidentals in the right panel… I am on 24 EDO and the key is set to atonal, am I missing something?

Thank you!

The arrow-accidentals came standard with 24-EDO in Dorico 3.5 and earlier. For 4.0 they decided to change the default to the Stein-Zimmermann accidentals you see there. (See the middle of page 65 of the 4.0.10 Version History PDF.)

It’s a fairly simple matter to change them individually to the symbols you prefer. (Or if you happen to still have an earlier version of Dorico, you could save a 24-EDO file from there, with its Tonality System definition.) Let us know if you need more help.

Well, it would be great if we could select the preferred set in preferences. I guess its easy to implement. Personaly, I prefer the Gould set

Thank you! I exported from 3.5 :slight_smile:

I see more and more scores using 1/4 tones (11th overtone) with Stein-Zimmerman, and 1/6 tones (the 7th overtone), using arrows. So the system is a combination of 24-tet and 36-tet, and composers like Georg Friedrich Haas use 1/8th tones as well.

Here is a short file I made to help trombonists practice Haas’s trombone octet, if it’s useful; it has the Stein-Zimmerman (1/4 tones), arrows (1/6th) tones, and 1/8tone accidentals. It could probably use some more enharmonics, but this gives an idea of where to go I hope.

Quarter,Sixth,Eighth-tones.dorico (542.1 KB)

4 Likes