articulation position not honored in part layout

in a run of beamed eightnotes in the LH piano part, I placed a few accents and they defaulted to under the note head.
Using the lower override box, I had them repositioned to the stem side (articulation , placement, beam-side).
While this appears correctly in write mode, when I move to the print mode, although the full-score shows it correctly, the piano part did not honor this override and the accent is still under the note-head.
I am using elements2, 2.2.0.1108 on windows.
I know that there is no engraving options for this version, and cannot control the detailed placement, but I would think the gross override would be honored.
Can someone explain this ?

Thx,

Welcome to the forum, shr23.

I can only assume that you’re looking at the Full Score layout in the left-hand side, and at the Piano layout in Print mode. Try using Edit > Propagate Properties to propagate the properties from the Piano layout to the Full Score layout.

I see, yes propagate fixed it. Thanks.
It was “write mode” on the left, and the piano part layout on the right.

So, everytime I use that override box on the bottom I have to do this “propagation” ?
I’m curious under what circumstances one would not want it to propagate ?

How would you “un-propagate” it ?
How do you tell what has been propaged (in the write mode) ?

In a large work, this could be quite awkward.

The team has said this is a temporary solution. For now, assign “propagate” to a key command like Ctrl-Alt-P, and just get used to pressing it often. I don’t even think about it any more…

This was contentious from the day Dorico came out. Basically, Dorico wants you to have as much flexibility as possible in the differences you may want between score and parts. The problem is that while they have this brilliant system to override enharmonics where changes in score automatically reflect in the parts, but not vice-versa, they did not implement such a system for properties panel overrides, at least not for a large amount of properties (for example: dynamics suffixes and prefixes are automatically propagated). They have acknowledged that they went too far in having Dorico not updates part layouts for such a large number of properties overrides, and therefore implemented a manual system of propagation as a stopgap measure (and they made the stopgap aspect of it very clear). They also have said that they will develop a system where the user is aware of what is propagated and what is not, and review the overall choices that Dorico makes in propagation.

In the meantime, Propagate Properties is a pretty good interim if you do a couple of things. First, ascribe a shortcut to it if not already done, and then, since the majority of Write Mode overrides are generally wanted in parts, you can simply finish the flow, type ctrl-a to select everything, and then invoke the PP command. This is very quick. I do Engrave mode overrides one by one however as those are generally very layout specific, and selecting everything in Engrave Mode is very taxing to the system in a large flow. But since you are using Elements, you need not worry about that for now.

In the end, after manymanymany scores created with Dorico, I have come to appreciate the basic philosophy of keeping things independent from score to parts. It has helped me do things that are otherwise difficult or impossible to do in other software, but this is one of the rare cases where the implementation was awkward and only fit the minority of cases. Rest assured that they are working on it.

If you’re working on a piece for solo piano, then I suggest you decide early on whether you’re going to print the Full Score layout or the Piano part layout: I would personally recommend the former, but the latter is also fine. Work primarily in that layout, and then when you come to print it, everything will already be as you want it to be.

Ok, thanks for all the explainations.
I was mostly concerned I was not understanding something correctly or that this capability might be restricted to the Pro version.