Articulations combination : playback priority rules?

What priority rule is used to define playback technique for articulations combination which doesn’t have an assigned playback technique ?

Do you mean here that just the combination doesn’t have a playback technique defined or in addition that one or more of the techniques themselves are not defined? Most likely I would guess that both (or all) of the techniques are defined individually but not in combination, in which case it’s quite an interesting question. As far as I’m aware, the rule in most cases is probably that if a combination cannot be found, then playback will default to “natural” but with dynamics and/or lengths modified according to the playback options in effect for the project or EM if overridden.

How it will sound in practice will obviously depend on the VST(s) involved. Are there any particular examples you have in mind?

Thanks @dko22 !

Yes, this is what I meant. It’s just the combination that does not have a defined playback technique.

I tried some combinations, like “legato + staccato” or “marcato + stacatissimo” (for experiment purpose since those do not necessarily make sense). The former playbacks as legato (but with duration of a staccato), the second playbacks as a marcato (but with duration of a stacatissimo).

Of course, I should define the combination playback technique, but I would be interested to know the general rule when nothing is assigned.

Interesting! In two libraries (VSL and BBC Core) the combination of “marcato + staccato” where the combination is not programmed but the individual switches are, I get a short marcato just like you. With “legato”+“staccato”, I also get with both libraries a short legato. So there does seem to be some sort of pattern which isn’t quite what I’d expected so far, though that’s of course just a couple of tests.

We’re talking here specifically about single note articulations, or “attributes” in Doricospeak. Rules for “direction” p.t’s which in most cases are the ones actually written out in text, various new things comes into play like mutual exclusions. Tried “spicc” in VSL with “marcato” and marcato is played. “Spicc” with others I’ve tried just now use the “spicc” articulation. The waters are getting muddy…

If there is a clear hierarchy defined, then it would be good to hear from Paul (if it was him who programmed this particular aspect). It could well facilitate new playing technique approximations to be uncovered in libraries that don’t possess the real thing.

Thanks for sharing your experiments !

Just finished a Spitfire Symphony Orchestra playback template to be tested on the Rite of Spring. Knowing default playback logic would help understanding to what extent one must define playback techniques for articulations combination .

2 Likes

Ambitious! I played about with that a bit, back when @Stephen_Taylor posted the score. Would be a great benchmark for playback and composition. Please let us know your findings!

1 Like

certainly is ambitious! I assume no one has been able to rival the VSL complete version, partly simply because of the range of instruments and articulations required. But I’m always willing to listen to those willing to step into the lion’s den :grinning:

It’s just to quickly check how the template behave on a real score, I’m not expecting a great level of realism since this would require much more work ! In the end, even if I much prefer Spitfire’s sound, it’s very probable that on such complex piece Noteperformer will achieve a better result, which is astonishing considering how simple it is to set up… On easier orchestral pieces, I may prefer to use a Spitfire template to take time to “sculpt” the sound.

I’m encountering some RAM issues at the moment, but this is off topic so I created another one.