Artist 11. The Pool

Hello.
How do I keep the Pool open when importing multiple files into the project.
Thanks, Tony

Normally it stays open…
just moves to the background

you can arrange the windows in a different way

Thanks Steffen for replying. Insert into project at cursor the Pool stays open. Drag a file in and it closes.
Much to learn for this boy.
Tony.

What exactly do you mean by this?

Sorry to be confusing raino. Crazy things are happening trying to open SX3, XP Windows projects in Artist11 Windows 10 PC. The most common problem being lots of files are missing from the projects. How I deal with this is import these files into the Pool from the audio folder, then drag and drop them into the project. When I do this each time the Pool window closes. When there are lots of files involved this is a pain. Just wondering how to keep the Pool window open.
Tony

So you are saying

• When you Import files into the Pool, the pool remains open
  • But when you drag an item from the Pool into the Project then the Pool closes?

If that’s what’s happening it isn’t normal for the Pool to close like that. Does this happen on recently recorded audio? If not how do the files that cause it to close differ from those that don’t? If you start with a brand new Project do these files cause the same problem?

Thanks raino for replying.
Here’s the sorry saga step by step.
I lost the studio to a fire.
At the time I was working with PC Windows XP and Cubase SX3.
The hard drive could be recovered. ( very expensive ).
All backups were lost.
I bought a new PC, Windows 10. Cubase Artist 11.
Recovered files were put into the new PC.
At the time of the fire I was working on 13 songs/ projects.
My first work with Artist 11 was to complete these songs.
When I open these songs/projects many files are missing.
I was only working with audio. No MIDI.
Sometimes the files are missing from their respective Pools, but always in their audio folders.
In this case when a majority of files are missing I import the whole audio folder into the Pool.
Then I drag and drop them into their projects.
Each time I drag and drop the Pool window closes.
When there are lots of files ( 30 or 40 ) this becomes very time consuming.
I reopen the Pool by going into the Project menu.
I’ve no recently recorded files because I want to finish the SX3 projects first.
So, no new projects.
Apart from the missing files a couple of the songs have played at a quickened tempo.
They come good after a few plays.
Also there are many external files in the Pools.
Fader positions, panning and track colours are as they were.
All plug ins were lost but I was made aware this would happen. Something about 32 bit, 64 bit.
Any thoughts on the opening and closing of the Pool and the continual missing files would be great.
Thanks.
Tony.

Wow, that’s a real mess to deal with.

Normal behavior is for the Pool to remain open after dragging from it as you can see here
dragging from Pool

Try this

1. Import all the needed audio files into the Pool
  2. But don’t drag them into the Project
  3. Instead use File>Backup Project… to create an entirely new and independent Project in its own unique Folder
  4. Close Cubase (probably not necessary) and reopen with this new Project
  5. Does this new Project also close the Pool when dragging audio into the Project?

raino, my apologies for not getting back to you sooner. Sometimes life takes over and we can’t do what we want to do.
I tried your suggestion ( twice ) to no avail. Created a backup project in its own separate folder but still dragging and dropping closes the Pool. At this point I should say " inserting into project at cursor " does not close the Pool. So that will have to do.
I don’t wish to take up anymore of your time because when I start using Artist11 to its full extent there will be many questions. Why the SX3 projects have so many missing files and why there are so many external files in the Pools I’ll just have to deal with.
Thanks so much for your willingness to help.
Tony.

Can you perhaps post an animated gif showing the problem happening.

raino. It seems I’m not the only one in the family not familiar with animated gifs.
I’m working on it.
Tony.

This is what I use along with some others in the forum. Easy to use.

raino. My computer has a virus. Over the last few weeks it has gone from odd behaviour to almost unusable. I’m not savvy enough to know if this is/was the cause of the dragging and dropping problem with the Pool. Other issues, apart from it taking forever to open up, were, projects (SX3) were playing at a quicker tempo than recorded, sound would drop out for a few bars and the screen would black out for a second or so then flick back on. I haven’t taken it to my tech’ bloke yet (next week) but I will certainly let you know what eventuates.
Thanks for the time you’ve spent with my mess and health and wealth to you.
Tony.

ugh, good luck

Raino. Sorry about the slow response. Computer cleaned up well. No gif yet. Could you please help with this problem. I’ve recently purchased a UR22C. I’ve downloaded the activation code but the device is not showing in the studio setup. Any ideas.
Tony.

You’ll need to install the ASIO Driver for the UR22C if you haven’t. Window’s Device Manager should show your UR22C, if not then install the driver.

That was it raino. Thanks very much. Still learning.
Tony.

Hello raino.
If it’s a pain to just direct my questions to you rather than go into the forum,please say so.
Artist11. Just bought a M-Audio 61key MK3 as a controller. Set up a VST track. Halion. Have an input signal showing but no sound. Something called the MIDI Port Setup is showing the outputs as not activated. Gone as far as I can go. Big, big learning curve. Tony.

Few precisions that are needed, I think…

‘VST track’ : you mean an Instrument one ? I hope so, as this type is the easier one to set up. And concerning the MIDI ports setup (in the Studio>Studio Setup>MIDI ports setup panel, I guess), I don’t think that it could be the issue : these interviene only if you need to use either actual hardware external instruments connected to your interface via MIDI or the MS GS Wavatable Synth.

Beside this, I guess that the ‘Input signal’ is actually an incoming MIDI activity, from which, I guess that your M-Audio controller tranmits MIDI messages as expected. So, if you have no sound, few things to check :

• Are you sure that the correct MIDI port has been selected in the Input Routing drop down list in the track inspector ? If not, no MIDI messages will be received on the involved track.
  • Have you actually load a vstpreset in Halion and does its channel match the MIDI channel transmitted by the M-Audio keyboard. In doubt, use Any as option for the Channel setting (also in the track inspector) : this makes sure that the channel of the incoming MIDI messages are kept as set on the keyboard. You can check on which channel the MIDI messages are received directly in the Halion UI.
  • Check that in the Preferences>MIDI panel, the MIDI Thru Active option is ticked. Otherwise, you’ll have big problems to get any sound from Halion…
  • Check also the Auto Monitoring setting, in the MIDI>VST panel. I suggest using the Tapemachine Style value, as it allows monitoring both in stop (neither recording nor playback) and recording contexts.

HTWH…

Follow @cubic13 's advice.

Yes. It is unfortunate that one of the first things you are confronted with when setting up a DAW is also one of the more confusing. Specifically you need to get the DAW & outside world (both MIDI & Audio) to talk to each other. But everyone has their own individual combination of interfaces and equipment which means there is no one size fits all solutions when doing this.

Once it is all setup you’ll find things get a lot easier. While there are certainly aspects of Cubase with steep learning curves. But all of those you can address (or not) on your own timeframe. But with the initial setup you are forced to deal with it right at the start.

1 Like