Artwork within a montage

When I load an art file into the montage, is the artwork now saved within the .mon file and I can delete the source file, or does Wavelab still reference the source file?

Also, Wavelab is the only audio app I’ve seen that give you a choice of Cover (front) Cover (back) etc.

I’m wondering if PG can explain some of the difference, why you would need more than one option, and what would be most common to use to simulate what you would get on an AAC file you get from iTunes Store or mp3 from Amazon etc.

Thanks.

When I load an art file into the montage, is the artwork now saved within the .mon file and I can delete the source file, or does Wavelab still reference the source file?

That’s the sole “media” file that is embedded directly inside the .mon file (see its size growing).

I’m wondering if PG can explain some of the difference, why you would need more than one option, and what would be most common to use to simulate what you would get on an AAC file you get from iTunes Store or mp3 from Amazon etc.

There is this possibility because the standard allows it. Now, I can’t answer the end of your question.

This is the Amazon MP3 readback in Wavelab:

ID3v1
Title: Million Dollar Man
Album: Born To Die
Artist: Lana Del Rey
Year: 2012
Comment: Amazon.com Song ID: 22728670
Genre: Other

ID3v2
Album: Born To Die
Composer: Chris Braide
Genre: Alternative Rock
Lead performer: Lana Del Rey
Band/Orchestra: Lana Del Rey
Year: 2012
Disc number: 1/1
Track number: 10
Copyright: (C) 2012 Lana Del Rey under exclusive license to Polydor (UK). Under exclusive license to Interscope Records in the USA
Comments: Amazon.com Song ID: 227286705
Publisher: Polydor

This is the iTunes AAC readback in Wavelab:

ID3v2
Album: Born to Die
Composer: Lana Del Rey & Chris Braide
Lead performer: Lana Del Rey
Band/Orchestra: Lana Del Rey
Year: 2012-01-31T08:00:00Z
Disc number: 1/1
Track number: 10/13

In both cases there is only a front cover picture, but it appears in Wavelab in the “Cover/Front” field for the Amazon MP3 file, and the Wavelab “Other” field for the iTunes AAC file. But the iTunes file says Front Cover when loaded in MP3Tag, so I’m not sure which is correct, MP3Tag or Wavelab. Possibly Wavelab is reading the iTunes AAC picture as “Other” rather than “Front Cover”? Also wonder why the Genre isn’t reading from the iTunes AAC in Wavelab. It’s there if the file is loaded in iTunes or MP3Tag. But the genre is Alternative at iTunes and Alternative Rock at Amazon, so there are some inconsistencies between iTunes and Amazon, including even the Composer.

Might be worth buying a track from each and testing it in other tagging programs. There are also some other differences in how iTunes and Amazon do it (iTunes Track 10/13, Amazon Track 10, etc.).

Thanks for all the info.

I guess I was wondering how crucial (for other app compatibility) it was to select an option for the artwork (front/back/other) because sometimes I may forget to designate but I usually just set it to front. So far it seems like other apps find the art file regardless of the selection.

When Wavelab first got this feature I was thinking you could supply multiple art files (front and back and insert etc.) but now I understand better how it works.