ASIO av and peak spikes as soon as I hit record

Intel i5-4570 CPU 3.20GHz 3.20GHz
8.00GB (7.88GB usable RAM)
64-bit OS

ASIO DRIVER is Digidesign Mbox2. Purchased Cubase Elements 7 in March this year worked fine. Took up offer of free upgrade to Elements 8.
Now have major problem in that with only one single audio track in a new project as soon as I hit record the VST average load and real time peak lights up. I record something simple like a single line on a piano and platback is completely distorted.
The ASIO driver and Digidesign box works fine with other software like CEP (and did with Cubase 7 but I cannot currently use Elements 8 as it stands.

Input latency: 5.011ms
Output latency: 5.011ms
Asios Guard latency 23.220ms
HW sample rate 44.100KHz
HW Pull Up/Down Off

Activate Multi Processing checked
Activate ASIO-Guard checked
guard level normal
Audio priority Normal
Activate Steinberg Power Scheme checked
Disk Preload 2 seconds
Adjust for record latency checked

Record shift 0 samples

Interestingly in performance monitoring it only uses about 3% CPU and about 25% of physical ram BUT the HDD (presumably swapfiles) Read/Writes id going absolutely ballistic which I think is causing the issue.

Has anyone seen this and can anyone help… It is doing my head in? As I said The version 7 worked fine with loads of midi tracks and audio tracks. Now I cant even hit record for one mono track of piano!!

I get the same thing, there is a huge short lived spike then it calms down and is fine after wards, I’m using Cubase Pro 8.

To be quite honest I haven’t been noticing much difference in sound but just in case when it becomes an issue I’ve just been leaving a little bit of space (like 1 bar) prior to the mark I want to start recording at. You may be right about it being a disk read issue.

I have same with 8.0.40 and today spotted big increases in access time to audio drive 70+. In another thread someone said he had success by setting project to save on SSD programme drive instead of sata audio drive. I am going to try this tomorrow and will post findings.

I tried today setting up a folder on my C drive (SSD) which is where my programme and VST data is as opposed to my separate audio drive. Do it in the root directory of C, not in the programmes folder as this will cause you to get drive full messages. I ran a project with two instances of Absynth plus FM8 and with waves channel strips an abbey road reverb running. CPU was very low and disc drive activity also. The audio processing bar settles at about 25% up the scale when playing back and recording 3 guitar channels. I left looping on playback as well and over a period of about an hour not a single spike…!! Appears to have worked for me so worth a try.

Excellent solution to try Rockybottom. To those who try the above and still have issues may I offer another possible culprit?

Make certain you have the latest USB Drivers from your Computer’s OEM and/or Microsoft (if applicable). THEN- download and install the latest software patches/updates for your Steinberg Application- LAST. I had this ‘spike’ problem for nearly 2 Yrs from 5.x- 8.0 & was about to give up on Cubase when I stumbled onto this solution that I mention. Now, I can run incredible number of windows & apps alongside my loaded Cubase DAW (although one should not do so.). In my DAW i’m running MIDI/Instrument Track Projects with over 70 Tracks without stress on my resources while I may have iTunes open, several Cubase Manuals loaded into Adobe, etc!

The reason for the USB (maybe other drivers too) solution is boring, technical & lengthy to explain. The skinny? Nearly every app one installs overwrites some drivers to mimic the old and add it’s own abilities to the driver! Sometimes, these App’s NEW drivers don’t play well or are Buggy! You want your DAW to be the master of your computer. So, make certain your DAW’s updates are on top of all others.