ASIO Dorico and Cubase

Good morning. After having issues with ASIO, and following the advice of some forum members, I finally decided to buy the Steinberg UR22 interface.
I use mainly Dorico, Cubase, and some leftover scores from Sibelius. Figured staying in the Steinberg family would make life simpler.
Never had an issue again with Dorico and ASIO, EXCEPT:

-If I open Dorico and then Cubase, Cubase won´t accept my UR22 interface and will default to ASIO (Realtek or generic).
The same happens with Dorico if I open Cubase first. Steinberg´s interface will not even show as an option on either Dorico or Cubase, once the other software took that option UR22 first.

• Sibelius won´t affect Cubase and vice-versa, both will run parallel, on the Steinberg UR22.
    It´s a shame, cause Dorico and Cubase are my main platforms, I play classical guitar, and need them both running at the same time.

Any suggestions as to what I´m doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

I believe the UR22 has a full ASIO multi-client driver, so this should be no problem. Do you definitely have the correct device (e.g. the dedicated Steinberg UR22 device rather than the Generic Lower-latency ASIO Device) chosen in both Dorico and Cubase?

Hi Concha,

Are you on Windows?

That’s normal behaviour and there isn’t much you can do about it. Only one application can use the asio driver.

You can try following settings:

• in Windows: uncheck allow applications to take exclusive control of the device.

• in Cubase and Dorico: release the driver when application is in the background.

Misohoza is right with what he says. But there is a second workaround:
In Cubase choose the Yamaha Steinberg USB Audio driver, and in Dorico the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver. Then, in Dorico’s Device Setup dialog click on the Device Control Panel button. In the then opening window, in the middle is a list of output ports, the UR22 shall appear in there. Tick the checkmark in front and close the dialog.
Now Cubase and Dorico shall both play out via the UR.
If the UR does not show up in the before mentioned output list, toggle the “allow exclusive access” option at the top of that window.

Thanks for the replies
Tried all the sugestions, none worked.
I´ts either or, no chance of getting sound on both at the same time.

I’ve just checked here again, and my proposed way does work. But I forgot to mention one detail: When you choose in Dorico the UR and then close the dialog, the new port assignment does not take effect immediately (actually a bug that is fixed in the next coming update). So you need to close the project and reopen again. Then it shall do.
And for my method you don’t need to set that ‘release the driver when application is in the background’ option.

Hello,
AS I own several hardware, I tried this for you

If I open Dorico and then Cubase, Cubase won´t accept my UR22 interface and will default to ASIO (Realtek or generic).
The same happens with Dorico if I open Cubase first. Steinberg´s interface will not even show as an option on either Dorico or Cubase, once the other software took that option UR22 first.

1.DOpen Dorico 3 with Ur22 mkII : play ok. Open cubase 10 with UR221 mkII and select via F4 the right output : Cubase can play
I switch several times between the two programs (both opened)and and it’s ok .I have the same setting as “misohoza »”

1. Cklose everything and open first cubase than Dorico and everything is ok

I try it on W7 and driver of MkII is 1.9.4

So it must work!! Would you like that I test in W10 also?
Best regards
Dup

Got it, Ulf’s solution did it (GRACIAS).
not easy though, it was hard to have the UR22 show in the “device control panel” after setting the “Generic” driver. After opening and closing Dorico, and toggling the drivers, suddenly it gave me the chance to change it.
Thanks a million, guys.

Btw. I can´t get it out of my head: the dream of having a “Cubase Suite”, with Dorico incorporated. Replace notation editor in Cubase, and Play Editor in Dorico.
Dorico still has minor bugs, which software hasn´t. But by now it is absolutely the best… Sibelius now feels like a black and white TV.

Nice idea, but there is much that Dorico can do that Cubase can’t currently do (staff-independent time and key signatures, just to name a couple), plus presumably plenty of things that Cubase can do that Dorico can’t. Not to mention the fact that there’s presumably an entrenched number of loyal Cubase users who don’t want to learn how to use a different score editor.

Understand, I could imagine it would be a massive job.
But you could buy different bundles, with different Editors. (Play, Write, Audio, Midi, etc.).
Both exist in the programs. People who are more into Dorico could get a “Suite” with Dorico pro, and a lite version of Cubase (no need for Dorico Play in this case). People with heavy “Sequencer” inclination, can have that, plus a lighter version of Dorico incorporated…and so on.
Big Boys can have the whole package. :mrgreen:
Talk about revolutionizing the music production world.
You guys started it: Dorico is way ahead of its league. :open_mouth:
Have a great Sunday. :sunglasses:

I’m sure the two development teams are just dying to stop everything and redesign their entire programs in modular format. :open_mouth:
Not to mention the potential crossover bugs which would now have to be addressed by two teams instead of one.

It’s a nice dream, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.