ASIO Driver Switcheroo

I am using a Roland Quad-Capture as my audio interface. I’m running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

When I open the device console and set my audio driver to “Quad Capture”, it asks if I want to switch to that driver, I say yes, and it does. The problem is, I want that driver loaded always. When I open Cubase 7 for the first time after closing it, when I go to the device console, it shows “Generic low latency ASIO driver” again. The Quad Capture drive IS and ASIO driver and I want Cubase to remember that, or no soup for you.

What am I missing here? By the way, it appears to work fine with the generic driver. I can only assume that the driver for my hardware, written by Roland, would be more stable, efficient, etc. I’ll be happy to eat my hat if I’ve missed something obvious. Any ideas?

…and I love Cubase 7. I had bad luck with SX and haven’t been back until now. Glad I did. :sunglasses:

Whatever you might be missing, I am missing it too. While most of the time, my MOTU drivers are in place, it has randomly happened where it has reverted back to the generic driver.

It is like the cookies on my computer that log me in effortlessly and then after you’ve forgotten the log in stuff, the computer asks you for that information …I have to go and reset it

have you by any chance forgot to turn the interface on before opening Cubase ? If so then it will ask you to swap to the generic driver

The Quad-Capture HAS proven to be a bit sketchy at times. I’ve had to restart it countless times for various issues. As of late, I’ve had some problems opening a certain project, and have had to kill Cubase repeatedly in task manager. In doing so, i might have needed a restart of the interface before restarting Cubase each time. That is likely the issue here.

As for the lockups, I’m fairly certain that it was due to the insert plugins that I was using. Among my better plugins are a mishmash of freebies, many of them running in a 32 bit wrapper. After 7 tries, I got the project open again and froze all tracks. That solved the lockups. Alchemy and Synthmaster seem to be the VSTi’s that strain the most.

…and thank you once again for the input.

Happens intermittently to me, too – and I have Steinberg’s own MR816csx! It even fails to see the driver. A restart often helps (though I’m asked to choose the driver!). Occasionally I have to use Mac Disk Utility to repair permissions when a re-star doesn’t cut it.

Happens intermittently to me, too – and I have Steinberg’s own MR816csx! It even fails to see the driver. A restart often helps (though I’m asked to choose the driver!). Occasionally I have to use Mac Disk Utility to repair permissions when a re-star doesn’t cut it.