Asio Guard and Lynx AES-16e Incompatible?

I have seen on this forum and the Lynx forum that quite a number of users are seeing problems with C8 using ASIO Guard with the Lynx AES 16e. I have had massive performance problems the entire time I’ve had C8 and have been trying to troubleshoot the problems continuously. I am running the latest version of C8 (8.02) and the latest version of the drivers for the AES 16e. My AES 16e is connected to a Lynx Hilo. I have a dual Xeon 2697 w 64gb Win7 64 and Cubase shows that when I’m having dropouts, spikes, and freezes, that i have anywhere between 70 and 90% headroom left on the ASIO meter (so only at 10 to 30 percent usage) and it gets worse over time and after a few hours it gets unusable. (by the way Win Task Manager shows very little CPU and Disk usage as one might expect with this level of power)
Would like to hear from other users that have these performance problems as well as any support people from Steinberg that may be monitoring the forum regarding this issue
Thanks
Ian

Hello,

please, have a look here: Steinberg Forums

I’m moving this to Issues → Miscellaneous - besides the fact that this does not meet the Reports requirements, this forum does not need approval, meaning you can keep on discussing with other users with no downtime.

Kind regards,

Hi Fabio
Yes, I’ve seen this thread and though I dont identify it with a link in my post I refer to the thread in my post. This is how (along with posts at Lynx forum) that others were having the same problem.
I hope others with the same problem find this thread.
Cheers
Ian

Hello Ian,

does the problem also occur in projects createad anew in 8.0.20?

If yes, it could also be a general performance problem. To rule out or resolve them you can start from checking different buffer sizes and sample rates, then check the system:

– Update Windows and all system drivers (including mother-board, device, GPU drivers…)
– Verify Power Options
– Check GPU settings / options
– BIOS / UEFI settings

In this order is fine. You can check the post below for further details on those steps.

This was reported by Guillermo, I will check the status of the case on monday and move the thread elsewhere again if needed.

Cheers

Hi Fabio.

Thanks for the reply.
My machine is fully optimized in both the BIOS and the OS and of course is exclusively a studio DAW (contains no other software and is not used for any other functions - humorously it would be a bit pricey to use a dual processor server for Microsoft Office and surfing the web :laughing: ). All of the areas that you indicated are optimized as prescribed.

In response to your question: Yes, the problem does in fact occur in projects that are initiated in 8.02

By the way I want to add that I spent the weekend doing extensive testing and my assertion that it gets worse over time is actually inaccurate. The problem does not increase over time when the project is staying static. Of course one is always working on a project and adding to it / changing it.

The issues that I am concerned with are :

1. Considering the very significant level of headroom that I have in ASIO indicated by the meter, why am I having problems so early?
  2. Considering the very significant level of total processing power available within the dual processor server, why am I not able to have several hundred tracks with several hundred plugins? (Well not really hundreds but Very many. Enough for a very large project). What is the bottleneck? Is it the software? Is it the particular hardware?

Thanks very much for the help.
Cheers
Ian