asio overload in cubase artist 6 64-bit

Hey people,

I’m new to this forum and need some help with this annoying problem…

I have windows 7 64-bit and have recently upgraded from cubase studio 4 to artist 6 64-bit. My soundcard is a MOTU 828 MK2.

When I now open up projects, the asio meter overloads on the toolbar inside cubase and the sound is horribly glitchy. I’ve tried turning off all effects, plugins, and instruments which does nothing and even tried changing the buffer rate which again doesn’t change anything.

I then updated to cubase 6.02 and made sure I had the latest driver from MOTU, again, nothing.

my spec is:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 663MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P7H55-M LX (LGA1156)
Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1280x960@60Hz)
128MB GeForce 6200 TurboCache™ (XFX Pine Group)
Audio
MOTU Audio Wave for 64 bit

I’m just wondering if anyone has/is had/having a similar experience and solved the problem. Any help would be really really appreciated!

thanks in advance

Charlie

Hi!This is a problem across the board…

Had the same problem…This is how I resolved it…but first check some things first…

1.Go to “device setup” (which is under “Devices”)…Click on “Vst Audio System”…Check if the Asio Driver drop down is on your Sound Card’s Asio driver or the Direct X one…make sure you set it on the your Sound Card’s Asio driver.

2.Click on the Win7 start button,All programs and go to the Steinberg folder,Click on the Asio Direct Sound and unclick any other devices (e.g. Your onboard sound card…inside the the pc like Realtek or something…unclick it and leave only your Sound Card/Audio Interface)

3.If it does not work,repair your operating system(win 7)…Never done it on Win7 but on Xp you insert the original disc and re-start pc…and boot through the disc and there’ll be options to either repair the operating system or re-install it afresh…I never lose my files when I do this…You may have to reinstall the hardwares (audio interface,printer) which Windows will prompt you to do when first switch them on after repair of the Operating System…

Each time I did this last part,the Asio spikes cease immediately…until maybe after downloading a particular batch of windows update…so take note of that.

Tshepo
South Africa

I get this too. Ill try the repair.

Hello,

are you running Cubase Artist 6 in 64bit or 32bit?

I’ve been able to fix these 2 events to the beginning Asio overload…

1.After I bought a new Antivirus (Norton 2011) and updated it,I did a “deep scan” which includes the scanning of programs files…(little did I know that the antivirus by default is set to automaticaly remove cookies) and the report thereof suggested that there were several cookies (used by most websites,they’re suppose to be safe but if they are too many,they may clog your pc and make it lower in performance)

I assume the deep scan and removal of those cookies by the Antivirus affected negatively the program files that should maintain stability in my pc when doing audio streaming.Advice:Do not set your antivirus to automatically remove cookies…Remove them manually after the scan while you check which ones are appear to be sinister.I’m tempted to assume that the antivirus’ may not be accurate in being able to exclude some programs files that are important for a smooth riding of a pc.(I stand to be corrected if need be but this is my observation).Twice this happened with me after doing a deep scan that checks even the hidden program files.

2.The 2nd observation when I got Asio overloads is when I approached,as it seems, a particular batch of windows update…especially the last batch…This happened many times and I’m sure it’s not a coincidence that I got spikes each tim I reached that batch of windows update.Solution:I repaired my Operating System and and downloaded an image file of Windows Xp sp3 and saved it on a Cd and “My Documents” instead having to download it again and again each time I repair my system.Now I hardly get Asio overloads since I avoided that last batch of windows update.Who knows may be you have to avoid a particular batch of Win 7 update for you to avoid Asio overload problem…In any case,be in the habit of taking note of the events that coincided with Asio overload because many users have experienced Asio overload after different events from mine.My events do not mean the latter is the overall cause of Asio OL problem.

In the end,repairing your Operating System has proved to produce desired results each time I did it…especially that I sacrificed an amount of download bytes to get the 500 Mbytes image file of Win Xp sp3 only once…so it does not cost me anymore to repair my Operating System.