ASIO Performance issues

Hi Everyone!

I´m having trouble with the overall ASIO performance in Cubase Pro 8.5.
Working with big projects with heavier plugins like brainworx Engl amps or
Omnisphere 2 is not possible with a lower input latency than 11msec.
Regular dropouts, excessive real time peaks and average ASIO load all the time…

I´ve read so many threads here about the same or similar issues with Cubase
users, checked all my drivers, made a fresh os installation, the gpu hack… but
nothing seems to work for me.

I would appreciate any help!

Regards
CD

It seems that Cubase has a few problems allocating tasks across multiple cores and prefers higher clock speeds. This has been an issue for me too especially with latency regarding Asioguard and UAD PCIe cards. Unfortunately there does not seem to be a definitive answer out there as it really is up to Steinberg to rework the audio engine to deal with this.

That said there are things that you can do to make life easier. I have been making good use of render in place - quite often in preference to freezing as I simply turn off the VSTi I have copied. I direct monitor my guitar as I have a Kemper Amp Profiler, but I also monitor using Amplitude Standalone when recording into Amplitude in Cubase, as there is very little latency with the standalone. If the Bx Engls don’t have a Standalone how about getting a freebie VST host:

I did have issues with Kontakt that have meant a rethink in how I use it. Hence the Render in place. I have to add that the cpu issues are not present in every project and to be honest I have not isolated all the potential conflicts with various bits of software that may be present.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!

These are for sure very useful tips to bypass a process, which should be a matter of course.
I spent almost $1000 for Cubase and the UR44. I can´t afford workarounds to do my daily job.
I don´t have the time at all.

Please don´t misunderstand me but something is not working properly and one or more issues need to be fixed.
I just noticed that I cannot even open a project by double-clicking the .cpr file directly from the harddisk.
Only “file/open…” within Cubase is working.

Seems your cpu can turbo to 3.2 GHZ which should be enough.
However if you have 2 CPU sockets and thus 16 physical cores the handicap is that there is much synchronizing between the cubase processes running on each core.

check out this thread:

Also consider a fresh install of cubase as it should be normally possible to start cubase by double clicking the cpr file.

Thanks for the link mroekalea.

Do I have to re-install and re-activate all my plugins and licences after a fresh cubase install?

I just noticed that I cannot even open a project by double-clicking the .cpr file directly from the harddisk.
Only “file/open…” within Cubase is working.

Also consider a fresh install of cubase as it should be normally possible to start cubase by double clicking the cpr file.

Double clicking cpr will not open the project in the latest version…this is a known issue and will be fixed in an update.

Does for me.
Still a bug, but not everyone is affected.

Hi,

its been a while since I started this topic and I´ve wasted tons of time to check, test and re-install drivers, soft- and hardware, only to get Cubase running stable on my system.

In my current daily workflow I have up to 25 crashes.
I cant use my own templates because Cubase can´t load them. Never!! Not a single exception, regardless on how many plugin instances a project has.

Now I want to re-install Cubase once more and need some information from staff:

1. I have a download version of Cubase 8 and one for Cubase 8.5 in “my Steinberg”-account.
    Do I have to download and install both of them or only Cubase 8.5? Both are more than 9gb download size…

2. Do I have to deactivate my license first and re-activate it after the new installation?

3. Do I have to re-install and re-activate all my plugins and licences after a fresh cubase install?

Regards
    CD

Well I’m not staff…so if you would prefer to wait for them to answer don’t read any further.

1. I have a download version of Cubase 8 and one for Cubase 8.5 in “my Steinberg”-account.
    Do I have to download and install both of them or only Cubase 8.5? Both are more than 9gb download size…

8.5 9Gb is a full installer so is all you need to download…the install checks for latest updates as well.

1. Do I have to deactivate my license first and re-activate it after the new installation?

It’s on a dongle yes? In which case no do not do anything other than make sure you have latest elicenser software installed.

1. Do I have to re-install and re-activate all my plugins and licences after a fresh cubase install?

No. If you do any manual cleanup after uninstall make sure not to delete any vstplugins folders. That said if you’re having 25 crashes a day plugins would be the first place I would look for the culprits.

Thanks a lot Grim.
As always very helpful.

Bitter often? lol

He is having a continuing conversation on a site based on helping others out. I don’t see the need to tell him similar to ‘get off my lawn’.

Grouchy pants! :slight_smile:

I’m with grim on this one,
It is most likely a plugin issue - second most likely is a windows issue (by that I mean some issue with your configuration or the USB communication between the soundcard and the computer)

I’d start with a fresh install of Cubase and check the performance with the inbuilt synthesisers. If these are fine, add the plugins one at a time and test.

If the issues happen with a clean install of Cubase with no extra plugins, it’s very likely it’s a soundcard/windows issue.

I note you production PC is new.

Just real quick: Others have noted they’re seeing issues with USB interfaces. Maybe borrow another interface (FW,…) from somewhere and try with that? Or try the internal soundcard using ASIO4ALL, just to see about the crashes…

Cheers and good luck!
B.

I’ve always found Sonar was much better for working with lots of Virtual Instruments and VST effects. I have orchestral projects in my old Sonar with hundreds of tracks. I just can’t do that in Cubase… would need to use other computers & Vienna Ensemble or similar. The ASIO load was always much lower when I used to use Sonar. On v9.5 of Cubase and I can still get more out of a legacy version of Sonar with VSTs/VSTis