ASIO Performance Spike Mouse Click and Drag

Hello, I have been a faithful Cubase user for 15 years and this is driving me nuts!

Recently upgraded my pc from x79 3930k hexacore /64gb memory/asus sabertooth to dual xeon e5 2670 / 128gb ecc memory / intel w2600cr.

Interfaces I use: rme hdspe multiface 2 (studio) Motu UltraLite Mk3 (home)

Windows 10 Pro

I have been testing the setup for about 2 weeks and it performs very well with low latency except whenever I click on something and try to drag (on empty space as well) Asio performance spikes and I get dropouts. That didn’t bother me too much on my last machine though I did see some performance spikes with mouse click and drag.

I’ve been researching and tried pretty much all the suggestions (changing mouse pointers, different mouses, swapping video cards - nvidia and amd, brand new windows install, different settings of asio guards, buffer settings, etc) but nothing seems to fix it. DPC latency is fine as well.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

Hi,

Try to use Latency Mon to test your system and see, where the problem is.

Yeah I did use LatencyMon to test it many times, but everything looks good. Everything is green.
It is weird because it only happens when mouse is clicked and moved around in Cubase.

I had a similar issue briefly on my current six core setup which I sorted out by changing a small graphics setting, which you could try.

Go to control panel - System and security - System.

On this page, chosse System properties. From this page, chosse the ‘Advanced’ tab.

Choose the first choice, Performance, and click on ‘Settings’. This opens the Performance Options screen. Choose the first tab, ‘Visual Effects’. This opens a list of seventeen visual options. Untick the one ‘show window contents when dragging’. For me, that made a big difference to the cpu hit when using my mouse to resize windows .

Before adjusting any of these visual settings, I opened the Resource Manager (available through Task Manager) to look at the load on each of my cores and on the overall cpu load, so I could see the changes as they came into effect.

Steve.

Thanks for the input but unfortunately, even with all the visual performance options turned off the problem still exists…
I am wondering if many people have experienced similar issue…

Sounds like an IRQ conflict, both USB and PCIe slot for videocard using the same interupt.
Suggest to check your mobo manual.

Yep check your IRQ, you may have to shuffle your cards around.
Your audio card should ideally have its own IRQ

Hello guys.
Yeah I suspected IRQ conflict, but I don’t see any conflict and the important devices are using its own irq…
I am also testing sessions with my previous hexacore setup and it doesn’t have that problem.

Actually what are negative IRQ numbers? I see bunch of IRQ numbers that has - in front of it

Hello all, the problem is gone in Windows 8.1. It must have been something with windows 10.
If anyone gets similar issue, Cubase is rock solid in Windows 8.1 with my setup.

Thanks!

Then it’s probably a driver that needed updating. Windows 10 will sometimes use a genetic driver, you will have to check every driver. It can easily be something like network, USB or anything really.
RME also have released new drivers lately, the last one fixed some direct monitoring issues for me.

Yeah, I think driver problem is probably what it is but I could not figure out which device or driver is causing it. I would assume that it must be something along the usb, display, storage, but I had no success fixing the problem with latest drivers or different versions of drivers.