I’m currently running a project that has assorted 3rd party plugins, AIO driver set to 128 samples. Asio Performance meter is showing under 50%, but constant spikes up into the red, including crackles. I’ve tried disabling pretty much all the different plugs to see if it was a 3rd party causing the problems, I’ve checked with Latency Chaecker (no problems), turned Hyperthreading on, and off, updated AIO drivers. Nothing seems to get rid of it.
Now, if I switch up to 256 samples, it all goes away and is fine, but it should work at 128 samples right? I mean its an RME AIO - famous for their excellent drivers!?
Anyone got any clues? Am I asking too much at 128 samples?
Which OS are you using?
Are you using Cubase 6 64bit or Cubase 6 32bit?
Which exact Plugins are you using?
Does the problem also occure with other projects or only with a few?
In my signature you can find the Optimizing Windows For DAW Article. Did you already go through all of these points?
It would be good if you could answer my questions and go through the points.
It does seem like alot but if you start going through this right now you will be done in probably less than an hour and the problem could be solved.
Did the system ever run smoothly?
Did you have this problem before 6.02 or only after you installed the the 6.02 patch?
Do the occureneces varry if you change “Devices–> Device Setup–> Multi Processing”?
Do the occureneces varry if you change “Devices–> Device Setup–> Activate–> Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme”?
Are you using the latest updates for your NI Plugs and UAD Soft and Hardware?
Are you sure that you went through all the points in
“optimizing-windows-for-daws” or are there some that you are no sure about and if so which ones are you not sure about? It would be could if you could go through that list again and realy confirm what you have done.
Could you create your projects on another position of your hard disc? Please also try to use another partition or even another disc. External hard discs should in some cases not be used as working medium, particularly if USB 1.0 is used.
Could you temporaraly deactivate all device drivers that you do not absolutely need to run the system? This would involve for instance, Display Card, UAD, network card, bluetooth, wlan, etc.
I had similar problems until I found that the spikes were happening right as Intel SpeedStep was screwing with the processor frequency and voltage. Each shift caused an audible glitch, and sometimes caused serious errors during tracking.
Between ThrottleStop and CrystalCPUID (google them), I was able to get the stupid processor to just shut up and give me my 2.93 at all times. No more clicks/spikes/etc.
Try using Resource Monitor (resmon.exe from the Run box) to watch the processor frequency. It will be shown in the CPU tab by a blue line indicating what percent of its maximum speed the processor is running at. If the glitches occur close to when the frequency is being changed, that’s your problem, not Cubase. Get a CPU control utility such as those mentioned above, and lock the frequency and voltage. Keep an eye on the temperature and you’ll be fine.
That might not be the problem, of course, but it’s worth checking–and frankly, I’d recommend manually stabilizing the CPU even if it’s not the primary source of your problem. It’s a bad idea to let the processor be reconfigured on the fly (which is what SpeedStep does) during real-time, processor-intensive operations such as tracking and mixing. It’s a great power-saving feature for most computer uses, but it’s a problem just waiting to happen for a DAW. (I suspect that a good deal of the glitches that get blamed on Cubase are actually deep system issues like this…)