ASIO spikes

Here is a good article from NI on “Windows 7 Tuning Tips for audio processing”.
http://www.native-instruments.com/knowledge/questions/847/Windows+7+Tuning+Tips+for+audio+processing

It would be good to go through these points and perseveringly turn them into action.
Also check if you have missed points that have come up in this thread.

Gr,
JHP

@ JHP - I did everything from your mentioned site… The only strange thing was the networking monitor (look @ Picture) where I can see that C6 and the VST Bridge sending some Data threw a network which don’t exists. That’s really strange because I don’t got any LAN-Adapter or something installed - Everything has been deactivated, even in BIOS/Device Manager. I’m using the internet threw another computer.

Here are some interesting Screenshots:
Performance.zip (1.38 MB)

What I don’t understand is that so much people don’t believe me that it’s possible that C6 is the problem…
I’ve used C5 with W7 (both Versions) too and there were no problems, so why does so much people try to convince me that my OS/Hardware Settings etc is the problem… I can do nearly any tweaking with W7 and don’t got similar problems with C5… I’m using Windows and Cubase for years. It’s clear for my that is something wrong with C6 in combination with my audio interface or something…

Take a look to my screenshots above - My PC is’nt exhausted of any OS/Hardware-Performance-Problem…

Cheers…

What’s “Datentrager” on the last image? Disk? Do those spikes coincide with your ASIO spikes?

“Datenträger = Disk” - I gave it a try and there is absolutely no coincide with the spikes and the hard disk"

The only thing which is going mad in the resource-monitor is my CPU - It shows nearly the same thing like on the ASIO-Meter… But this are’nt big great news… :confused:

I’ve had another look at that final image. The CPU doesn’t look spikey, just uneven, or is that what you’re talking about? Your Latency checks look good (but I’m no expert, I’m just going off what the s/w makers say).

The reason I and others say it isn’t Cubase is because that’s how it usually turns out to be. That’s why I was asking you to check that the Steinberg Audio Power profile has indeed set up correctly (most importantly the 100% Min Processor setting). It was the only thing I could think of that was Cubase. I suppose it’s also debatable where Cubase begins and ends. Anyway…

I notice that you’re using Omnisphere and Kontact on these images so we can discount the Grand (?). And you’ve got the VST Bridge running. Does the same project give the same problem in C6 32-bit? What happens if you remove either? An earlier post mentioned a known NI issue and I seem to remember they have a few tweaking options for cache and the like, so maybe this is where you need to focus your attention.

Anyway, I’m all out of ideas now. All the best sorting it out.

Crotchety

Deactivate Display Card :laughing:
You wont see the asio perfomance meter peaks anymore —> problem solved !!! :laughing:

DPC Latency Checker : Fine — its not the hardware or a driver

I have seen on some Screenshots, that you have several instances of Amp simulator running . There were problems mentioned on other threads with the AmpSim (and Reverence of course)

regards Mink

@Crotchety: Sry. That Screenshot was shot @1024 Samples without playing - that’s the reason because the CPU performance looks fine on this image! The Grand 3 was’nt activated in this project so we can discount this. I’ve installed the 32-Bit Version too on this system - The same issues. :confused:

@mink: It worked! :stuck_out_tongue:

Here are 2 Screenshots with and without the VSTi’s:
Screenshots 2.zip (740 KB)

Oh before I forget:

Deactivating the Amp Simulators are changing the ASIO-Meter “very very subtle”.

Did you try hyperthreading? If it’s on, have you tried turning it off? And vice-versa. Assuming you have it, that is. I presume you have but I don’t see it mentioned.

Is your chipset in the recommended list for your CPU at AMD?

Right, back to the cricket - er, work…

Deactivated Hyperthreading - Problem was getting worse… :confused:

Can’t find this “list”! :confused:

My Proccessor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Prozessor Black Edition (Sockel AM3, 14GHz, 6MB L2 + L3 Cache)

My Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO Mainboard Sockel AMD AM3 DDR3 Speicher ATX

There should be no problem beause of this I think - I said it 10 times before. Cubase 5 worked fine…

I saw somewhere on I think Intel’s site a list of chipsets that were okay with a particular CPU. Wondered if AMD might have similar. Anyway, probably getting into irrelevant ideas now, I was under the impression you had a new machine, and probably best I surrender now. All the best, C

I’m also seeing this issue on Mac OSX. Should I start a new thread?

Cubase 6.0.2 (32-bit mode, 48k projects), Mac Pro 8-core 2.26GHz (79% idle in stop), 24GB RAM (over 50% available), SSL Madi Xtreme 64 interface card. I usually start the day at 128 latency but by the final bounce of the day I need to be at 768 or 1024. Running Vienna Ensemble Pro as well.

@crotchery: Thanks for your help and your patience man. I hope Steinberg will fix this problem soon… :frowning:

@synthetic: ASIO spikes are ASIO spikes :/… A problem shared is a problem halved! Stay here if you want! So your problem occured with C6 or did you tried an earlier version before? You got 24GB RAM! Why the hell are you using the 32Bit Version? Maybe you are lucky and the problem will be solved with the 64Bit Version?
I’m fighting now 2 Weeks with this Spike-problem… It’s getting me mad… Maybe I’ll try C6 etc. with my Macbook pro but for now I’m not in the mood because my main-system will be a PC.

Cheers…

Ok, now I have something:

I have a project with tons of UAD2 Quad and PoCo 6000 plugins, which runs with no hiccups. All of a sudden the Group editing assignment fell apart and I had to reassign the takes of a multitrack drum recording. (see my other thread at http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10174)

After fixing this the project can’t be played back at all, because of the ASIO spikes. I still have the original project, which still works fine. The two projects are nearly identical, the number and position of audio tracks and plugins is exactly the same, the only difference is that the takes got reassigned by Ctrl+G at the last choruses of the song. The project otherwise doesn’t show any sign of corruption. More than annoying…

Sry! I don’t got the point! Where’s the coherency between the ASIO Overload and the group editing feature? So you mean it was a bug because this group editing feature messed up your drum Tracks and caused ASIO Spikes?? :question:

This ASIO-thing is getting me mad! :confused:

That’s exactly what happened.

Congratulations for the detection of your problem man! I wish my problem will be solved soon… :confused:

Hi all,

I have now updated all that is possible to update on my computer, computer(motherboard,cpu++) cubase, vsts, vstis, interface, and so on. I have even tried to “downgrade” the 1394 driver as mentioned above. My computer is clean and it is optimized for audio, and have allways been.
Conclution: still heavily spiking.
-When I turn OFF all my VST plugs in a project and leave the VSTIs ON, it still spikes. -When I turn OFF only the VST instruments and leave the VSTs ON, the spiking goes away. It seems that HalionSonic and EW Play (goliath) are the ones that affect the spiking most.

VST running: UAD plugins
VST`is Running: Superiour 2, EW Goliath, HalionSonic

…but as mentioned by others earlier, things used to work before 6.0.0-6.0.2.

Anyways, thanks all for helping.

-L

this needs a bump…