Asking why the term "endpoint" was chosen in Dorico

No. Not here in the U.S. And nomenclature is standard.

To be entirely honest, I’ve just reread this entire thread and your request on the Xenforo forum and I’m still not entirely sure what it means.

Dorico’s development team seem to borrow existing terms from other areas (e.g. DTP, DAW, networking) and occasionally alter the meaning to suit Dorico’s purposes. I’m not aware of any terms used in Dorico that are actually new words.

2 Likes

I could’ve not guessed what nomenclature means without context. Lingua-/linguology, archaeology, oncology, biology etc seem easier and more logical (no pun intended).

1 Like

I have no idea what the term lingualogical means. I have never met it before and it is not in my vocabulary, which is pretty wide. I can well believe that it comes from some recent academic paper, as I meet incomprehensible bits of gobble-de-gook in those all the time. :slight_smile:

To pick up a contribution higher in this thread, i.e. the description of the manual as like a Scientology tract, although I have never read such a thing, I can readily see how the comment might arise. I have already criticised the hyper-loquacious manual on this forum, so will say no more here other than, unlike the Sibelius manuals, I find it of scant help, and that as far as I am concerned much of it might as well be the instructions for operating a flying saucer, written in mediaeval Martian. One might think it embarassing that most of the threads here are concerned with explaining concepts, some of them quite basic, that the manual is said to cover adequately.

David

Then I’ll know better than to let you anywhere near my flying saucer! :astonished:

I agree that all flying saucers should definitely be upgraded to 4.0 contemporary Martian.

Staying connected to the Endpoint conversation - Sibelius Sound ID’s and their mapping system? Ah, yea. Not gonna agree with you that Sib is easier or clearer.

As for the Dorico manual - I don’t want to point any fingers in either direction. Sometimes I wonder if the requestor has even looked (not blaming the OP) when something seems so clear and easy to find in the manual to me. And yet sometimes I read and re-read, and still scratch my head trying to understand something. I think this is definitely an eco-system (not just an application) where videos are important and where training is worth considering.

1 Like

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.

Actually - “Lingualogical system” sounds to me like a machine for sorting, cutting, and packaging pasta, or maybe the proper term for the language they use on Vulcan. :slight_smile: Nope, not clear to me at first glance.

Really though it makes sense to me that you pay professionals who study this kind of thing full time (better them than me) with a broad range of language and cultural experience, They do their best and then we just go with it.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this - I’m obviously very happy to receive feedback on the documentation in all sorts of cases, including when people haven’t been able to find the answer, and also when they’ve found the right page but it hasn’t imparted the information clearly/understandably.

Please do always feel welcome to share examples - either by posting publicly or messaging me privately, whichever feels easiest. The manual is there to help you! So if there are instances where it doesn’t, I want to know so I can improve it.

5 Likes

Let’s see. At first glance, Lingualogical (NOT in the Oxford Dictionary of English) could mean several things depending on the reader’s background. For me, lingua comes from Latin for the tongue (but the word tongue in English descends from Old English (tunge) and that from Proto-Germanic (tungon)). Then there is the word particle " logical", so the neologism “Lingualogical” literally means ‘Logical Tongue’. I wonder what THAT is?

The argument between lingualogical and nomenclature ends here, since the former brings more confusion to native English speakers.

It also occurred to me that it is the distortion of my memory which led me from using the word “lingualogical” in lieu of the real word I was about to use: “terminological”.

Nevertheless, “nomenclature” works natively.

This is the best answer and applies to all languages/versions/technologies.
I have had 3 careers in the same organisation and each had its own acronyms that were the same but different meanings along with jargon. We ended up having to write a jargon buster so new members to the organisation new what the hell we were talking about…and we were multilingual global!

1 Like

I’m glad I found this. I’m trying to learn about VSTs and expression maps and playback templates and suchlike (all still largely terrae incognitae to me), and the term ‘endpoint’ really foxed me, especially as it is also used in the manual (or at least in Dorico Help) for the (literally) end point of a slur. Now I’m a step closer to being able to do what I’m currently striving for, namely to add an Iconica Section into an otherwise NotePerformer-based score.

Many thanks, by the way, to John Barron, whose video (originally a live stream in 2020) about this pointed me in the right direction.