Assigning an LFO to modulate the volume

I have a HALion6 voice that I would like to drift in and out. Trying to write the automation manually is quirky at best. (Using the dropdown automation window below the track being automated.) Is the are way to assign an LFO to do the volume automation?
Really appreciate any and all comments

There is no generic ways to use LFO to drive automation parameters but maybe you can try this if you haven’t.

If you click on a “Line” tool icon on top of the project window, a drop down menu appears with selections which goes, Line, Parabola, Sine, Triangle and Square. The size of the shapes are tied to the quantize value. Select “Sine”, set quantize to e.g. 1/1 then draw it on the automation lane and you get 1 bar long sine wave shape automation points, much faster and easier than doing it by hand.

Above can be used for any automation but if that’s only about halion, you can route an LFO to volume on halion. It’s more versatile and accurate that way.

As @TakashiWatanabe suggested, routing an LFO inside HALion would seem to be the ideal way of doing it.

For a quick and dirty Midi based LFO there’s also the Midi Insert called LFO - however it’s very limited (max cycle time of 2 bars).

One could send the Midi LFO signal to controller 7. Also worth noting - it’s not a live LFO, but it only oscillates while the transport is running. But it can be recorded into the midi track.
Cubase_Midi-Insert_LFO

1 Like

Do you have a link to more detailed information for how to make all the connections like “send Midi LFO to signal controller 7”?

The online manual for the plugins included with Cubase Pro is here: Plug-in Reference There’s probably also a PDF manual on your computer from your Cubase installation. It should have the words "Plug in Reference"in the title somewhere (the exact filename depends on the version of Cubase you have).

Here’s my test setup for creating the LFO midi data for Midi controller 7 (volume), enabling them to be recorded, and monitoring the LFO created midi data with the Midi Monitor.

Depending on how you have configured your midi recording preferences, the Midi Volume data may show up in a separate lane, or get merged into the midi event with the notes.

The LFO data only gets recorded permanently when the transport is running. And it only get recorded when you have the little Record button on the Midi Insert turned on AND you are also hitting Record on the main Transport.

However it will work real-time when you play back the song without recording it. The Midi LFO will nor produce anything when the Transport is stopped.

All of this may be a bit much to digest at first, however getting to know the various Midi Inserts and how to use them can be a long term rewarding experience.

Quite a bit at first sight. I can’t thank you enough for taking your time and effort to put this together. I will study it till I get it.
I used the “draw sine wave” described by another person, but I do not like the way Cubase does that type of automation.
Thanks again.

1 Like

If you don’t know yet, there are also lots and lots of YouTube videos about how to do specific things in Cubase - so hopefully that will also be a useful resource in your journey!

Best wishes and I hope the joys of figuring things out will outweigh the frustrations along the way!

I do not seem to have “MIDI Inserts”, only "MIDI Modifdiers.image of my elements DAW

Oh - you hadn’t mentioned before which version of Cubase you’re running. If it’s Cubase Elements, then there are no Midi inserts as far as I know (Compare the Versions of Cubase | Steinberg).

So I’m afraid my entire idea won’t work for you then - sorry about that!

I tried a few things, but using the sine wave line with the pen too in the automation track works

1 Like