Assigning midi channels for External Instruments?

I never said it would be of any practical use :wink:
But the question asked was “can I set it to a channel of my choice?” Yes, but still only one channel, not multiple (except that you could use the same Transformer FX to send to a 2nd MIDI channel above a certain key-split, for example).
But you are wrong about having to set each hardware synth to ch #1… it would receive as directed by the Transformer FX.

Yeah? On an Instrument track that only recieves ch.1? :chin:

Provided the Instrument itself is multitibral, yes. (can be used for VST Expression too :wink: )

first since you’re just getting up to speed with the new verison of cubace and a lot has changed i suggest noting a couple of things. ( you have been using some of the cubase terminology loosely and confusing the issue.)

if you want to get sound out of your synths you have to use either a midi track or an instrument track to send midi to your synth and an audio channel to hear the sound. right? and honestly midi tracks are the way to go for now. in the beginning this may be a bit more confusing but very soon it will be habit and so easy and flexible in a simple way that you will get on to making music faster.

i suggest at this stage avoid using cubase’s " external instrument feature" and “midi device manager” until you are up to speed with the program. If you really want to use it check my earlier post on how to get your multi timbral setup to work but there will be hiccups and issues that will make it hard to do, confusing to work with and set up to accurately reflect your setup. i think you will be better off just manually assigning the parts in the synth and manually patching the midi channels and audio returns in the project window. i have a couple of externals synths and i dont use the feature.

if you implement a more traditional studio approach it will serve you better.

start a new project with a blank setup. go to the vst connections page and just label the inputs on your audio interface to reflect your setup ie synth 1 audio returns and select the corresponding channels, etc etc. then save that as a preset in the vst connections window. make sure you have gone to the external instruments tab in that window and disconnect any external instruments you have set up. this way those inputs on your interface are selectable. then go to the project window and create 4 stereo audio tracks. now select an audio input source for each track - 1 for each synth and label it accordingly. now create the number of midi channels you want in total - ie 16 for synth 1 8 for synth 2 etc etc. and then assign and label each midi track ie synth 1, part1 and select the corresponding midi channel; repeat for each midi track.

now go to the file menu and use the " save as template " and label it - something creative - like my studio template . now what you have is a basic setup that is specific to your studio setup that gives you a midi channel for each part on each synth and everytime you start a new project you can pull this template up and get to making music with out repeating all of the setup info. the thing you have to accept is that any vst pluggins that you use on your audio track will be applied to all voices coming from your synth. there is no way that you can avoid this. if you want to process your audio from your synth you will have to record that perfromance as an audio part then create a new track for the either the audio part and process it seperately or create a new audio track for the inputs of the synth.

if you do this you will be making music in on hour.

best

additionally I have a comment Rymdis is probably overseeing (and perhaps it has already be mentioned but I actually was to lazy to read all posts (I’ll do that at home casue the issue is interesting)):

Rymdis:
Even if you have multitimbral instruments with 16 timbres and you setup Cubase to trigger all 16 chanels:
You normally have only 2-4 Mono Audio Outs on a multitimbral instrument.
So you can’t process the 16 audio-signals independently anyway, this is why a instrument track normally makes sense as you e.g. can record each timber independently as audio, one after the other.

Now if ou want to use 16 timbers at a time you HAVE TO them up as midi tracks. And still you will only be able to record 2-4 mono-audio tracks. Is that better?
If you are producing at home or in a studio you have the time of recording each audio line independently.

So as you perhaps can see, instrument tracks are very handy, and if you want to trigger 16 voices, than setup 16 midi tracks and record on 2-4 mono tracks or 1-2 audio tracks.

there isn’t really any other option.
Now if you synth has indeed 16 audio-outs, then just setup 16 times the same instrument, and each with a different port, but until now I haven’t seen any synth which could support that…

Cheers

Now that ive got my brain back i see how stupid my post was :slight_smile: Just using soft-synths for years makes you forget things apparently.

Well, the fastest way to make MIDI-tracks into AUDIO-tracks then? It would be cool just to drag & drop them :slight_smile:

/R

Does anybody know the fastest way to get MIDI into Audio? Is really mixdown my only option here? Guess that what i really would appreciate is like i said a “drag & drop” function where i just drag the midi parts to the audio track and then Cubase internally converts it. That would be cool!!! :slight_smile:

/R

“Now you’re going too far :wink: !!!”

Just kidding. There’s actually just two options.
Export the track you want to have as audio (via File → Export → Audio Mixdown)
or freeze it (snowflake)

take into account: as we’re talking about external instruments the freezing or exporting will be done in real-time. so it may take some time.

drag and drop would be too easy, missing filename, bitrate, etc… don’t agree it would be so cool. This way is neither much longer but gives you more possibilities to adapt it to your needs.

Hi. i hv a problem with my program change. Im using my external instrument keyboard korg pa900. When i change program then i can listen my selected sound from my keyboard but after replay my sound change automatically. My selected program not chang but y sound automatically change.

Cubase elements 7.
win 7 64bit
Korg pa900