Associating .cpr Files to Cubase 12 After Upgrade From 11

Hi all!
I upgraded from Cubase 11 Pro to Cubase 12 Pro on a Windows 10 Box. Cubase 12 works great and I am happy with it so far. However, whenever I click a Cubase project from File Explorer it gripes about the license not being available because .cpr files are associated with Cubase 11 (not 12) and my dongle is on a different machine. I tried to change the association through Windows 10 Settings but the only two possibilities it shows are Cubase 11 and the Windows store (in other words, no options for Cubase 12) and going to the Windows store didn’t help.

I Googled and found a few articles with the only seemingly viable option being to uninstall Cubase 11, which I don’t really want to do. Also, even if I do that, what’s the mechanism to associate all Cubase files (e.g., .cpr - are there others?) to Cubase 12 afterwards? It would be a snap if Windows 10 presented Cubase 12 as an option to associate .cpr files but it isn’t doing that. Seems like it should be kind of straightforward so I feel like I am probably missing something obvious but I can’t figure it out.

BTW, I know I can go into Cubase and open via the File menu or the hub and that works, but it’s a long-held part of my workflow to sometimes open projects through the OS as well so quality of life would be better if I could get it to work both ways again.

Thanks!

If you right+click on the .cpr file there should be an option to “Choose another app”

When you select that option it will show you a longer list (where you might find Cubase12). At the very bottom of that list there should be an option to look for another app. Clicking this should open a file browser, find the Cubase12.exe file and select that.

2 Likes

I followed the directions and it worked exactly as you said - thanks Raino! I did that procedure for .cpr files- are there any other extensions for which I should do that? I ask because I don’t want some parts to open with Cubase 11 because I missed an association.

Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is a .bak file, but you wouldn’t normally try and launch it anyway.

Ok, thanks Raino!